My Macbook Pro superdrive blues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Artmuzz, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

Today has been a very sad day for me and my brand new MacBook Pro.

I have only had my MacBook Pro a week but this morning I tried to burn some dvds but when I inserted the disc into the drive all I got was a strange pulsating mechanical sound for about 10 seconds and then my MacBook Pro spat out my disc. I tried it with other discs including the Apple restore discs but I still got the same problems:(

I then took my MacBook Pro back to PC World where they apologised for this and ordered me a replacement which I should get at the end of next week. The guy told me that this was the first time he had heard of such a problem on the MacBook Pros.

I had a chance of getting me money back but instead I decided to get a replacement ordered.

I feel like crying:(

Art

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not a very knowledgeable tech. Superdrives fail all the time.

3. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if I have only had my brand new MacBook Pro for a week?

Art

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any part can fail at any time.

5. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I have always been lucky with Apple products until I bought my new MacBook Pro last week. My first Mac was my trusty old white MacBook which I have had for 3 years and I have never had any problems with it. The same goes with my iMac and 2008 MacBook Pro.

I guess I just got unlucky with my new Mac purchase. I told the salesman at PC World that if I have a problem with the replacement will I get my money back and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe I should of got my money back today and just spent money on a 100 mile train fare to a Apple store and bought there.

Art

6. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I forgot to mention should PC World given me back my MacBook Pro until my replacement has arrived next week?

I am without a MacBook Pro until I get my replacement:(

Art

7. Irosaki macrumors member

Irosaki

personally I hate PC World, their staff dont have a clue and their prices are ridiculous.

also actually read their "insurance" it covers sod all.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

My SuperDrive has just made me loathe slot-loaders in general, as there is really nothing of Apple's involved in this process. They just pick other peoples components.

After watching it spit out store-bought Audio CDs last night (wound up ripping them with my gaming rig and it's full size tray-loader, faster anyway) I am very tempted to buy a 5.25 desktop burner from Newegg with a USB enclosure and be done with the SuperDrive once and for all.

9. csdibiase macrumors member

I'd suggest something like this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16827151186

All the joys of an external USB DVD drive without having the bulk or power supply of a full 5.25" drive.

10. jonesh macrumors newbie

11. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I hate the fact that Apple stick cheap and nasty DVD drives in their Macs yet charge a ridiculously high price for them:mad:

With the price those MacBook Pros are you would think they would stick a decent robust drive in their friggin computers:mad: If my replacement still has a dodgy DVD drive then I think I will give up with Apple products. Atleast my trusty 3 years old white MacBook is still going strong.

Art

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The drives aren't "cheap" or "nasty." They put off-the-shelf components in their computers like any other computer maker. It just as likely to get a bad drive with any other PC manufacturer. :rolleyes:

13. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Not if the MacBook Pro has only been bought a week ago brand new and it was the first time I used the superdrive:rolleyes:

It makes me wonder if Apple or any other computer company check the components themselves just incase of any defects before their machines actually leave the factory:rolleyes:

Art

14. Winters macrumors member

Probably not if you look at all the yellow 27" imac ;)

15. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Good news.

Last week I received my replacement MacBook Pro and now it works like a champ. I no longer get the annoying click/pop sound from the hard drive every 20 seconds and the SuperDrive works.

Only problem is that the space bar doesn't look level.

Art

16. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Don't worry, Art. Your new drive will be better than the previous!

Good luck,

Habitus :apple: