My MacBook Pro & TimeCap 802.11n?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by s0lar, May 24, 2009.

1. s0lar macrumors newbie

Heya Folks,

I was wondering about my MB Pro early 2008, that cannot connect to a n-only enabled Time Capsule. I've checked my network util for the model and it does state that I have a/b/g/n compatibility...

However, when I check the Tech Specs of my MacBook Pro, it only says that I'm capable of IEEE 802.11a/b/g , but no "n" anywhere! Anything I'm doing wrong or anything I should download? I'm in need of some signal power!

Thanks in advance for your help! :apple:

s0l

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The tech specs were probably posted before the n-enabler software included with the base station or download from the online store was made available. If you already checked Network Utility and see its a/b/g/n capable then you're in the clear. See this. When you say you can't connect, do you see the network under the AirPort menu? If so, do you have wireless security? Is it WEP/WPA/WPA2? Have you power cycled the cable/DSL modem the Time Capsule is connected to? Power cycled the TC? Reset up the base station from scratch (hard resetting it)?

3. s0lar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response Jedi! Ya I do have a security on it as well as it is closed, so I go through the usual procedure of inputting all credentials. Where it's supposed to connect me to my network I get timed out... I haven't tried a hard reset yet and I'm not quite sure what it means to power cycle my modem...

Odd part is, my Apple TV is the only thing that seems to be able to connect to it instantly. That's why I'm wondering about my MB Pro. Double checked my model and it is n capable. hmmmm.