Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

equalsabracket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Sometimes when i move it, it makes a noise which is hard to explain. I guess its a little bit like a water drop or something. I don't notice it anymore since i've had it for the best part of a year but i'm just wondering if everyone has this? I think it usually happens when i go to put it down after i'm finished moving it, if that helps.

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2008
Sometimes when i move it, it makes a noise which is hard to explain. I guess its a little bit like a water drop or something. I don't notice it anymore since i've had it for the best part of a year but i'm just wondering if everyone has this? I think it usually happens when i go to put it down after i'm finished moving it, if that helps.

Actually yes, mine makes a noise also. It has done it since the first day I bought it. The computer works fine and it doesn't annoy me or anything, so I haven't looked into it further.

It almost sounds like a clicking...maybe a water drop. It only does it when I pick it up though. Maybe the hard drive clicking??? I doubt it is anything to worry about.

lumpi

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
Wild guess: Maybe the harddisk is switching off to avoid damage from concussion?

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Yeah, both my MBPs do that. I think its a clicking noise. It must be a HDD mechanism to prevent it from going bye bye.

LewisB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
I was just about to post a topic on this. If i move my Macbook Pro 13 a little fast, or pick it up suddenly it makes that noise. It is really annoying...

Anyone know what this noise is?

equalsabracket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Yeah, both my MBPs do that. I think its a clicking noise. It must be a HDD mechanism to prevent it from going bye bye.

Yeah, maybe a tongue clicking noise is closer? Is hard to explain, isn't it? Glad it's nothing serious though. And yeah, i think you're right with that theory.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
If its when you move it quickly, its the sudden motion sensor (SMS) that is causing the click sound, it is preventing the disk from colliding with the head, which result in you losing all your data.

If it is doing it when it is just sitting there however, you disk head is parking, and you should do the performance update, that came out last week, and if that doesn't solve it bring it to Apple, and they should replace the hard drive, or you can buy a new hard drive, to upgrade disk speed and storage.

dk2k9

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
Thats what Apple is saying..

that it's the Sudden Motion Sensor is that clicking sound..however..my drive crashed due to that clicking..so NOW what Apple?
Unibody MB Pros apparently have an inherent issue..recall and repair..or refund!

kfs777

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
HD saver

Actually yes, mine makes a noise also. It has done it since the first day I bought it. The computer works fine and it doesn't annoy me or anything, so I haven't looked into it further.

It almost sounds like a clicking...maybe a water drop. It only does it when I pick it up though. Maybe the hard drive clicking??? I doubt it is anything to worry about.

its the computers suden movement sensor telling the HDD that the computer may have been dropped, its a sort of "brace for impact feature" so you dont lose your data is the computer is wrecked from impact. I have an SSD so this feature doesn't make a difference to me

jessayd

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
the same thing happens to me!

I have only had my macbook pro 15 inch for three weeks and this has been going on since day one. I use to just ignore the noise but now i just notice it more. It usually happens when i move my mac or re-adjust it. I was trying to find out if this is normal of macbooks and it looks like it is; when I read the replies to this post. I am just glad that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. Thanks for posting this.

ChecanStyxss

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
I just bought my macbook today. (Well actually I bought it yesterday but it had some problems so I returned it for a new one.) Anyway, both of them make this clicking noise. I'm fairly sure it's for protection, but I'll ask my "computer nerd" father. He should know.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
that it's the Sudden Motion Sensor is that clicking sound..however..my drive crashed due to that clicking..so NOW what Apple?
Unibody MB Pros apparently have an inherent issue..recall and repair..or refund!

...What?!

Your drive crashed due to THAT clicking?! Or did your drive crash and then begin clicking repeatedly like a jammed gear? That's totally different.

Inherent issue?! Hahaha.

The single tick that you hear is the head parking. It has done this since the iBook came out in 1999. So you're saying there has been an inherent issue in Apple portables for 11 years?! A reasonable person would deduce that the feature indeed works.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

Clicking on a hard drive isn't caused by only the motion sensor. If your computer is dropped or something and the hard drive is damaged, then generally it will click continuously as the parts are constantly hitting one another as the drive spins. That's what it sounds like happened to you - your hard drive was already damaged, which is why it was clicking, and ended up dying due to the continued use after the damage was sustained (if it wasn't dropped then it was likely to just be a faulty hard drive). The click that other people are describing - a single click when the computer is suddenly moved - is indeed the motion sensor and is in place to protect the hard drive. Of course if you just drop your compute the force of the impact will more than likely damage the drive anyway, but that has nothing to do with the sensor mechanism at all.

jpcyr

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010

Hi, I can feel your pain. I have searched all over the place to find a solution to the exact same problem: this annoying ticking sound.

HERE'S THE FINAL AND DEFINITIVE SOLUTION:

http://www.6ixpassions.com/post/1095520847/fix-the-ticking-clicking-sound-in-your-macbook-pro

Aidon

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
Well thats really reassuring! I thought I got a defective one, and i was like no, i just bought this yesterday, this can't be happening now!! Aha..

tetrisdog

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Well thats really reassuring! I thought I got a defective one, and i was like no, i just bought this yesterday, this can't be happening now!! Aha..

ha, I though the exact same thing (i just got mine like a week ago)

thank god

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
The single tick that you hear is the head parking. It has done this since the iBook came out in 1999. So you're saying there has been an inherent issue in Apple portables for 11 years?! A reasonable person would deduce that the feature indeed works.

I think that the first Mac laptop to have an accelerometer was the Late 2005 iBook G4 - I had one and was very excited about it at the time. The SMS has saved my bacon a couple of times now, I suspect.

Politis

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Same click issue, veeery sensitive

I have a new MBP, it has never been dropped or shaken or moved out anywhere... and I exactly the same issue. Click when I rest my right hand palm on it to type. Click on occasions when I hit a key.

And right now it can even goes 'click' if I slightly squeeze the side of my MBP - without even lifting any tiny bit.

Or when I lift my palms from the surface, there goes the click again.

So which part actually makes that click sound? Does it do any damage? I dont thing the geniuses in mac store will have been informed about it.

maya90

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
I was just about to post a topic on this. If i move my Macbook Pro 13 a little fast, or pick it up suddenly it makes that noise. It is really annoying...

Anyone know what this noise is?

mine does does the same thing when I move it (not when I rest my palm on it or hit a key, ONLY when I move it..) it's a sound like liquid moving inside it.. I wonder if it's kosher.. I mentioned it today to a guy at an Apple store & he didn't know what I was talking about, which surprises me now that I see this is not happening w/mine alone.. I'm very intrigued by this.. since I purchased with Apple Care I will take it into the store to check it out...

lee6

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
MacBook clicks

My MacBook 13" clicks ever since I purchased it last year. I have gone back to the store twice. The genius bar guys both told me that "it is a way the system is parking itself during motion". I was also told that apple never calls it the "laptop" because it is not suppose to be sitting on top of anyone's laps due to risk of sudden motion. the notebook computer suppose to rest on a firm flat surface like a desk during use. The computer can only be moved when it is asleep. sounds kind of ridiculous to think one has to wait 1 minute or 2 after use before you can move it into your bag then get up and go.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
My MacBook 13" clicks ever since I purchased it last year. I have gone back to the store twice. The genius bar guys both told me that "it is a way the system is parking itself during motion". I was also told that apple never calls it the "laptop" because it is not suppose to be sitting on top of anyone's laps due to risk of sudden motion. the notebook computer suppose to rest on a firm flat surface like a desk during use. The computer can only be moved when it is asleep. sounds kind of ridiculous to think one has to wait 1 minute or 2 after use before you can move it into your bag then get up and go.

You dont need to wait at all...the noise is the Sudden Motion Sensor parking the heads on the HDD, which is stopping any chance of damage. Its doing its job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.