My Macbook pro wakes from sleep mode

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SchneiderMan, Apr 6, 2009.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Hey,

my macbook pro just started ti wake up from sleep on its own, about 1 minute after i put it to sleep it will wake up and shut down, why is that? it never happened before. Thank for your help on this.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Does it happen when you close the lid, when you put it to sleep through the Apple Menu, or when it goes to sleep on its own?

Have you tried any of the other methods with the same/weird results? EDIT: When you say "wake up and shut down", does it power down, or does it just wake up, then go back to sleep? Because if it's powering down after you issue a sleep command, that could be more serious than what I suggest in the latter paragraph. I would suggest searching Apple for the proper proceedure to reset the PMU on your MBP as it's slightly different between laptop models.

Typically, there should be something waking it up such as a peripheral. An external mouse or keyboard (bluetooth if you have the setting checked to wake it from sleep), even ethernet activity could wake it from sleep, or possibly even an application (though that usually just prevents it from sleeping, but I would quit all applications and try to reproduce the problem, just to check). Uncheck wake for ethernet access option from the Power Saver Sys Pref, and see if that helps at all.

3. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I use both sleeping methods and its goes to sleep, wakes up and goes back to sleep.
    i dont have any new peripherals, nothing is moving on my desk, bluetooth is turned on for the apple wireless keyboard but i dont know if that would be the problem, is sometimes disconnects when im working on the mbp. maybe that it?

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Possibly, head into the Bluetooth preference in the Sys Prefs, you might have to head into the advanced settings, but disable "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake machine from sleep", and test it out. If a device is sending a "bad signal" or something it could be causing it to wake up even if it doesn't get moved.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

Ummm... SMC? :D

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah something like that
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1149
    System Management Controller (SMC), System Management Unit (SMU) or Power Management Unit (PMU) are all similar

8. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Thanks that was it.

9. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

SMU = Desktop G5
    PMU = Portable G5
    SMC = Intel