My macbook pro won't boot!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gerbygordon, May 19, 2008.

1. gerbygordon macrumors newbie

Here's what happens,

When I turn it on, it sits on the apple logo screen with the wheel spinning. I've tried booting in all the safe modes, using Disk Warrior, etc.

any good advice before I take it in? I no longer have a warranty.

thanks!

2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

did you recently perform any software updates?

Also, what are the specs on your MBP?

3. gerbygordon thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually did choose to do a few updates (Microsoft Office, ITunes) and the computer froze- when I turned it off, and turned it back on, it refused to reboot

I have a 2.16ghz processor and 1gig of RAM

thanks for the help!

4. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Assuming its a 2.16 Core Duo MBP... I had a similar problem with mine right after doing a software update. Luckily for me I had access to another mac. I booted my MBP in target disk mode and moved all of my important files (school stuff, background images, music, pictures, etc you get the picture) and reformatted my HD. The internal HD should still be readable. After that I went out and purchased an External HD and back up religiously. Every time I do an update I use carbon copy cloner to make an entire copy of my HDD. Since then, i haven't had any problems with updates, it was just that particular time. Even the same updates didn't mess up the next time around.

My symptoms were on boot I would get the grey apple screen, spinning wheel, then it stopped and shut down. I could put my ear down by the track pad and hear the HDD spinning, then it stopped spinning and that's when the MBP would shut down.

Hope this can help you.