My MacBook Pro won't play CDs or DVDs anymore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MasterHowl, Oct 3, 2010.

1. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

My MacBook Pro plays DVDs with movies on, but no CDs with music, or DVDs with software on them. It just makes a noise for about 30 seconds, then spits them out.
    What do I do?
    I know there's a lot about this issue already on the forums/the internet, but I've never come across a fix. I didn't buy my MacBook directly from Apple... will they still fix it if I pay them?
    Thank you!

2. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Yes, they still will fix it if you pay them, but it will cost a lot of money and it will not be worth it. Apparently, the Superdrives for MBPs suck and aren't really worth replacing. You can also buy it yourself and replace it yourself for cheaper, but again, I've heard the Superdrives aren't worth your money in replacing. I would recommend you buy a USB $50 or even less if you find one on sale.

3. movieboy23 macrumors regular

As No1nfoProvided said, the cost to replace a superdrive is relatively expensive. In my experience replacing superdrives in MacBook Pros, it costs around $270-300 (parts + labor) while an external drives cost < $100. That said, some people are willing to pay for the replacement drive given the convenience of not having to shlep around a separate external drive. It's all about how much you're willing to spend.

4. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Fixed!
    I went to the Apple Store yesterday, and spoke to a Genius at the Genius Bar about it.
    My drives dead, but they'll replace it for free!
    I'm so lucky.

5. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj