My MacBook Pro won't read my LaCie!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnwlits, Aug 10, 2007.

1. johnwlits macrumors newbie

I bought my MacBook Pro yesterday and it's great great great, except for one very big problem:

I can't get it to read any of the files off of my LaCie external 500GB HD. All of the files on it are off of Windows and I think the system is NTFS or whatever it is; I can't remember the exact name of it. But I thought Macs could read those? Help me... :confused:

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Your MBP should be able to read the files for the most part.

First step would be to open up Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility and see if it even shows up as a drive. If it does, verify it and repair it.

3. johnwlits thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried to go to disc utilities. It knows exactly how many files there are, but I can't even click the option for verify disk or repair disk.

4. un1ty macrumors member

5. johnwlits thread starter macrumors newbie

A friend of mine tried that I believe and he used the terminal and all that jazz but couldn't manage to set things right. :confused:

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If your up running on 10.4.10, it knocked out support for a lot of external USB HD (mine included). This sounds kind of what happened with mine when I updated to 10.4.10 as well. The posting in this thread by crazycanuck gave steps that fixed mine.

Hope it works for you.