My Macbook pro wont recognize my mac OS X install DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Xselsert, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Xselsert macrumors newbie

Hey there. I was just going to restore my mac to factory settings because I have a lot of junk on it I want to get rid of. So i back up all my data i want to save and then i inserts my Mac OS X install DVD. But all i does is saying some strange noises and after 20 seconds it pops out again. It is really strange because my mac can recognize all other disks. But not my two DVDs that came with my mac.
    I have restore my mac once and at that time the DVDs worked fine.

So what should i do? I need to restore my mac but it wont recognize my restore DVDs.

I really hope someone can help me.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First, check to see if the discs are dirty, scratched, or otherwise damaged. If they are, you can request new restore discs for your Mac from Apple for a small fee.

3. Xselsert thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked that and there isn't a scratch on. Nothing is damaged on the DVD. So what could it be?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Got another Mac handy? (Don't try to install the discs on the other Mac - that won't work.) If you do, or you have a Windows machine with MacDrive installed, use that to see if it will recognize the disc. If that test succeeds, you can eliminate disc damage as a possible cause.

5. np0000000 macrumors newbie

are they the original disks that came with the computer?

you cant use a install disk for a Macbook, iMac, Mac Pro ect.... on a Macbook pro. also you cannot use a Macbook Pro install disk from a older or newer line of MBPs.

if they are the originals that came with your MBP then you may just want to order new disks from apple like WW89 said, i believe they're $30. i could be wrong though.

1-800-my-apple is the #.

6. Xselsert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers. I figured it out. I did just restart my mac with the DVD in. And the pressed the C key down while it restarted. And it worked. So i am now running on a clean mac. Its just great.