My Macbook Pro's speakers stopped working - pic attached

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Aug 5, 2008.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

All of a sudden, I turned on my computer this morning and I don't get any output from the speakers - when I try and change the volume, I get this odd volume sign - does anyone know what this is due to?

Attached Files:

2. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

is there anything plugged into the Macbook Pro?

4. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Nope - nothing! There WERE headphones plugged in, but when I unplug everything, the audio output no longer works.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

try restarting your computer and plugging and unplugging them once it starts. Then repeat, lather, rinse.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I am guessing something is in the headphone jack.

Take it to a dark room. The headphone jack probably has a light shining. That's the optical output.

Clean it various ways, dust blower or headphone in and out.

7. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue. Speakers always worked fine but after plugging in my headphones last night and then removing them the optical light shines and I can't play anything through my speakers.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

try resetting PRAM. if that doesn't work, you might need to get the left i/o board replaced.

sound can still go dead w/o the light shining in my experience.

9. kwahamot macrumors newbie

Same problem. I found a thread on Apple.com that recommends using a toothpick to clean the headphone/speaker jack. Worked for me! Apparently there is a microswitch inside the jack that gets clogged with dust and then you get stuck in "Digital Out" mode. For $4000.00 you'd think it would come with its own toothpick!

10. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Have you tried putting your headphones in the mbp again and try removing it again? It happened to me before, and it worked for me. Hope that helps, good luck.

11. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Thanks to the folk here for the suggestions. This happened to me and I put my headphones back in, twisted them about a bit, pulled them out and in a few times and the speakers sprang back into action.

12. edblor macrumors regular

This just happened to me this instance. I thought I remembered reading about this trick.

I did a quick google search, and all is right in my world!

Cheers!

13. beesweet macrumors newbie

speakers quit

Same issue. I read a suggestion to download updates. I did. They worked for 5 minutes then stopped again. Frustrating. A toothpick???

14. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

This from my own personal experience is a physical/hardware issue, which don't worry is easily fixed, simply plug in your headphone jack, and quickly remove, and then repeat, and you should be fine. Its down to the lubricants used to maintain the connections used in the mechanism.