My MacBook running slow

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krewelement394, Aug 28, 2010.

1. krewelement394 macrumors regular

krewelement394

Hi, recently i have been using my iMac and not been using my MacBook. i am using my macbook now, but i am not enjoying it as much as i used to when i first got it. Why? well it has been running very slow it sort of reminds me of our 2005 windows desktop. aghh... so my MacBook is a mid 2008 white macbook, running snow leopard, 3 GB Ram, and 2.4ghz.

i remember when my macbook was running very, very, very slow once but it was because the HD was failing, i replaced it and it was back on business. now it isn't running as slow as it was when the HD was failing, but it is still running slow.

Safari usually takes longer to load than what it does on my iMac, and when i type sometimes it lags. i also get the "beach ball" a lot, that rainbow loading circle. i had 7 widgets opened but i only have 3 now. i only have mail as a startup. i noticed improvement, however, it is still lagging just a bit.

is there anything i can do to improve?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I hate to say it, but the beach ball is usually a sign of a HD going bad. Or at least the need for a backup and reinstall of the OS

3. krewelement394 thread starter macrumors regular

krewelement394

what really? i just bought the HD in Feb...:(.

do you recommend me reinstalling Snow Leopard?

how does the HD fail?

4. charliegolfmike macrumors newbie

safari etc running slow

Did this happen after an update? The MacBookPro I use at work has started running verrrrry sloooowly after the Safari 5.0.1 update was installed (26 Aug 2010), at least when Safari is running. The OS is Leopard 10.5.8 (yes, my employer does not want to update to Snow Leopard, still).

I've run Disk Utility and found hundreds of disk permission problems. Repairing them doesn't help--the next time I look, there they are again. Installing the latest Apple security update for Leopard 10.5.8 didn't help.

I'm running a Symantec AntiVirus scan overnight to check for malware.

5. charliegolfmike macrumors newbie

safari etc running slow

OK, the Symantec scan detected nothing. I'm writing this on the MacBookPro using Firefox. As long as I don't run Safari, this machine seems OK.

So krewelement394, is your problem similar?

6. krewelement394 thread starter macrumors regular

krewelement394

yes after installing safari 5, ive noticed the sluggish performance. yesterday verified the disk, and repaired the disk. there where a ton of permissions that had to be repaired, anyhow after doing that my macbook is up and running again. safari is still pretty sluggish; i know it is safari because i was running chrome and it is a lot faster than safari. the other programs seem to open a lot faster than they did yesterday as well.