My Macbook running slowly, any helps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jason Bates, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Jason Bates macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'n new here and hope someone can help me to speed up my Macbook. I'v tried many ways but still doesn't work. Someone suggested me to download a cleaning app but I'm not sure which one is secure and helpful. I get used to softonic but it lists so many cleaners such as appcleaner, magican, cleanmymac, etc etc. Which one??? :confused:

Sorry for my bad grammar as its my second language. Many thanks in advance.

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

What Mac do you have? How much space do you have free on your hard drive? How exactly is it running slowly? We need a little more info before we can help.

3. simsaladimbamba

No need for cleaning applications, stay away from them, as they might do more harm than good, especially CleanMyMac.
    As for maintenance: Five Mac maintenance myths

As for speeding up your Mac: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

And if the above does not help, please state the exact nature of your slowness, post the specs of your computer and what Mac OS X version it runs. Also use Activity Monitor to help you show your CPU or RAM intensive tasks.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

4. Jason Bates thread starter macrumors newbie

My Macbook info

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for help and here is the detailed info

MacBook Air 13-inch, Mid 2011
    Processor: 1.7GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4GB
    Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

Every time when I start it, almost need 1 min.

5. simsaladimbamba, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

simsaladimbamba

As noted in the Performance Tips you looked at early, take a look at the Login Items and remove the unnecessary ones. If all are necessary, then either live with the boot time, or just put your Mac to sleep instead of shutting it down and powering it up again, unless you need to due to using Windows via Boot Camp.

My 2009 MBP took that long to boot, but it was using an HDD. Now that it uses an SSD, 25 to 30 seconds is the standard boot time (I still use sleep though instead of shutting it down).
    You can use the following applications to benchmark the speed of your SSD, to see, if it is the culprit and if the slow boot is the only problem you have:

6. Jason Bates thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi simsaladimbamba,

I will take a look at those tips and back here again if it helps.

Thanks.