My Macbook Screen Broke! Now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chance182, Apr 5, 2011.

1. chance182 macrumors newbie

Crazy! My macbook fell only a foot and landed weird on the screen, needless to say the screen is now cracked with crazy color design now on the screen.
    It still runs great and has no problems or anything.
    Question is now what?
    Apple says they want 700 to fix!!! NO Way :eek:
    Cheapest fix i could find was 400!!! Might as well get a new comp. or refurb?
    Can i sell it on Ebay, craigslist?? If so, how much can i sell it for?

specs for Macbook model #A1181
    2.0Ghz internal Core 2 Duo Processor
    2Gb of DDR2
    120GB Hard Drive
    13.3 in (white)
    Pre-installed Mac Os X and iLife

Any help wold be much appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

simsaladimbamba

You could use it in clamshell mode with an external monitor.
    Or you could use it as server.

Btw,
    www.mac2sell.net or eBay (Việt Nam, Türkiye, Česká republika, Hanguk) might be good price checkers.

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Marketplace_Rules#General_Rules

3. Surely Guest

Surely

My advice would be to sell it and upgrade to a newer MB or MBP.

I'd say you are about ready for an upgrade at this point..... I like to upgrade to a new machine every 2-3 years.

4. chance182 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked out the mac2sell site and it quoted me at $350, but isn't that with a good screen what should expect to sell it for with a cracked screen?

5. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

If you are competent with repairs the screen is a pretty easy replacement. There is a guide over at ifixit to help.

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Ignore iFixit's guide, it is awful. They have you opening the entire machine. Totally unnecessary.

Remove the white bezel by peeling it off with your fingers. Remove the beige bezel clips with a tiny flathead screwdriver, or something small that can pry. Even your fingernails. Use the same tool to put these beige clips back into the LCD frame.

Remove the screws around the LCD frame. Use the magnets on the top of the LCD's frame to hold the screws.

Take the LCD frame out. You may have to squeeze a bit around the webcam area. No biggie.

Remove the 2 screws on the top of the LCD, two screws on the right side, and 3 screws on the left side. I like to put these on the sleep magnet, to keep track - they are a different size than the other screws.

Remove the old LCD. Unplug the webcam cable, LCD display cable, and the inverter wire. You can just tug on the inverter wire, we're not using the old LCD anyway - it's the piece that you see here.

http://www.waylessthantekserve.com/images/thatdamninverterwire/

Use those pictures to get an idea of how you're going to put the new LCD's inverter wire in.

Put the new LCD in, by following the above steps in reverse. It's insanely simple for this model, compared to others, which are more tricky, or require a clean room, or funky screwdrivers so you don't have to open the top case.

You can buy the screen cheaply from reputable places like screencountry.com, sunvalley's eBay store, or my supply company , use macrumorsforum code @ checkout for 15% off, by Friday you could have a new LCD from LG for $100 & some change.

7. chance182 thread starter macrumors newbie

Smart Man