My MacBook Screen goes black !

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Quicksmile, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Quicksmile macrumors newbie

Hi dear friends !
    I have a new problem with my macbook 13 aluminium, I bought it in dec 2008!
    some times the screen goes black unexpectedly and if I move the screen it goes back to its noramal condition ! I went to the apple store and they said that it is for the connector of LCD ! what do you suggest guys !? what can I fix this problem ? do you know anything about the technology of this macbook's LCDs ?! can I fix it by myself ?!

2. FunkyFunked macrumors newbie

I got a white one from mid-late 2008 and have the same problem.

I did a lot of research and found some things:

--- First to do: Hardware reset. Shut down your Macbook, take out the battery and hold the Power Button more than 10 seconds. Maybe this will fix your problem, or try to reboot with the "r+p+CMD+alt" buttons pressed. If that doesn't help, its a hardware issue.

--- Give a **** on Apple support: If there's something wrong with your LCD (even if the LCD is okay, but only the backlight is broken) they tell you that they need to replace the whole Screen it would cost about 700 - 1000 €.

--- So: If you're out of warranty, do it yourself!

--- Often this problem has something to do with the "Inverter" or the "Inverter Cable". Just google that, you'll see that a lot of people got issues with their backlight. If you repair it yourself (It's not hard to do and if this is your problem than it costs around 50 Dollar/Euros)

I had this problem too and ignored it... now my whole screen seems to be broken. Only one second of backlight till it turns off.... You know, I got another thread here trying to fix my problem, I tried the inverter thing but it didn't work for me... :(

Greets

3. Quicksmile thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer !
    I have to remove the battery and unplug the charger and after that hold on the power button for 10 seconds or it has to be connected to the charger ?
    R+P+CMD+alt does not work !
    how can I find that the problem is for the inverter cable !? I googled it and I found that if the problem is only for the inverter cable I can fix it by myself ! the apple technision said that the whole lcd has to be replaced ! He did not even see the macbook when I told him about the problem he said that you have to replace the lcd for 600 $ !!!!!!

4. Quicksmile thread starter macrumors newbie

the P+PR+cmd+option did not work for me, so the hardware has the problem !
    my question is how can I find that replacement the inverter cable gonna work for me ? ! I can buy one on ebay .my lcd goes black and if I move the screen it flushes rapid and after 3-4 seconds goes in its normal condition !!
    also I have a basic question (!!) what do you mean by backlight ? what is the bacllight of the lcd ?!