My Macbook screen has started to flicker? Please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 4342, Jul 7, 2011.

1. 4342 macrumors newbie

Hi this is my first thread so sorry if a posted it into the wrong section
    Anyway i have just noticed that over the past month or so my macbook screen has started to flicker :/ and i can't ring apple as my warranty has ran out (old macbook 2006/2007 model) so i was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they have fixed it?

Thanks

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

What do you mean "flicker?" Is it the backlight that's going in and out, or are there patterns flickering on the screen?

3. Jeepman88 macrumors member

I would love to get an answer for this, mine does the same thing. It's the backlight that flickers on/off on mine. It's completely random and doesn't bother me really, just happens every now then. Mine's a mid 2007 "Blackbook"

4. 4342 thread starter macrumors newbie

The backlight goes darker and then if a nudge the screen it goes back to the normal brightness. It mainly happens when i first power it up and lasts for about a 30 mins it also does it when i wake it from sleep. But after i have been using it for a while it stops doing it. Its just anoying me because i think its getting worse :(

5. eman macrumors 6502a

If the lcd light flickers on it's own without the top lid moving, then replace the inverter. If the lcd light flickers when you move the top lid only, then replace the inverter cable. Actually, I would replace them both to be on the safe side.

6. 4342 thread starter macrumors newbie

if i dont replace the inverter/cable will the screen eventually fully stop working? It's not the flicker that anoying me, it's just the thought that the screen might stop working altogether. (i don't want to replace the inverter/cable because i wouldn't have a clue at what i'm doing and might break the mac even more).

7. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Yes, most likely. You have already said you think it is getting worse, it will eventually get to the point of not working.

Nothing is wrong with just letting it ride as long as you can as long as you have a plan for when it does finially goes out. Make sure you have a good backup (regardless of the situation) and make sure you have the ability to access your computer when the screen does go either by having an external display to use, or another computer you can hook it up to in Target Mode, or have screen sharing on so you can control it by another system.

As far as repairing it the going rate pay someone to replace the inverter and cable would be $250+. IMO probably not worth it for a 4-5 year old machine. If you are technically inclined and want to just try the cable, they run about $20 and the board I've seen for as low as $40. (Those links might not be the correct parts for your model but just an example) There are some breakdowns on how to disassemble various systems at ifixit.

8. Detrius macrumors 68000

Yes and no. The backlight will eventually stop working, but there will still be a picture on the screen, and you can shine a light on it to see what's going on.

The fact that you have to nudge it means it's the inverter cable. If you replace it yourself, be really careful to route it through the hinge without pinching it, as otherwise, you'll be having the same issue again in a few months.

9. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I was having this issue a while back with my 2006 CD MacBook.

I was just about to buy the cable and board and do the repair myself. I'm not scared to open it up, but with it being my only computer and the fact I've never opened it up, I was a bit reluctant.

I called up Apple to ask how much they would charge. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, they were going to charge about the same, or just a bit more, for the parts and labor, as it was going to cost me to just purchase the part.

Needless to say, I headed on over, and when they guy looked at it, he said since my top case had some cracks, they'll replace that for free and just charge me for the parts. Then when I went to pick it up, he said he didn't want to be bothered charging me the $7 for the parts so he let me have it for free.

Overall, very satisfied Apple customer.