My macbook screen is cracked and i can't see anything, detecting external display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dbrook09, Jan 24, 2010.

1. dbrook09 macrumors newbie

so i am not sure if there is a way to do this, but im sure someone on here can help me figure that out.
    i was in a car accident where my macbook was in a case, in a bad in my back seat. and it shattered the screen. of course my care protection plan wont cover it. so i have a external monitor that i am trying to use to navigate the computer. with the correct adapter.

i was hoping there is a way to detect and use the monitor....
    this would be extremely easy if i could actually see the computer screen on my laptop... but the entire thing is solid white because of the crack. so i need keyboard shortcuts, or some way to control my computer using my macbook pro connected through firewire.
    i wish i would have set up the file sharing, and remote management sharing before the accident. would have come in handy now. but i didn't.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

:)
    thanks
    dbrook09

2. Queso macrumors G4

Close the laptop. Plug in both an external monitor and a USB keyboard and mouse, then hit the keyboard's space bar. The laptop will wake from sleep with the monitor automatically being used as the primary display.

3. sunshone001 macrumors newbie

All you need to do is run to best buy and buy a dvi to mini dvi connector. Use the mini in the goldish port on the macbook and the big end on the monitor.

If it's out of warranty, you might want to look online on ScreenCountry for a replacement screen. They should be pretty simple to swap, or you can find someone who's good with Macs to do it.

Contrary to popular myth, Mac lcd screens are not more expensive to replace than PCs.

Good Luck! :apple: