my macbook seems to be slowing down

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JosephEsquivel, Sep 1, 2008.

1. JosephEsquivel macrumors regular

I have a C2D 2.0 MB with 4 GB ram and a 250 G HD with about 100 GB free, now when i open up somethin in finder, or am moving files between folders, theres a 5-10 second pause between when i move somethign and it actually goes. I have cleared all the caches with MainMenu, and looking at my memory all 4 GB works and without opening too many programs i still have 3 GB free.

any ideas what may be goin on?

2. kalex macrumors 65816

is the drive making any noises?

run a hardware test on the hard drive to make sure its not going bad.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

When is the last time you have shut down your computer? Continually putting it in sleep, but not actually shutting down, will eventually slow your computer down as memory is taken by various programs and threads and not released.

4. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

5. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

and under activity monitor there is a Kernal task running, my knowledge od kernals is limited but is that bad?

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

No, that's the symptom of a functioning computer.

7. kalex macrumors 65816

2 disks that came with your macbook, one of them has harware test on it.

8. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

ok, did the hardware test, reset the PRAM, and same problem

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look at the logs in console.app and see if you are getting a recurring error.

These can be caused by the OS (like a (com.apple.dyld) Throttling respawn), or an app continually errors and really slow things down.

11. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

Im seeing this a lot:

9/1/08 10:34:00 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master) Path monitoring failed on "/var/spool/postfix": No such file or directory
    9/1/08 10:34:05 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master) Failed to count the number of files in "/var/spool/postfix/maildrop": No such file or directory
    9/1/08 10:34:05 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master) Failed to count the number of files in "/var/spool/postfix/maildrop": No such file or directory
    9/1/08 10:34:12 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master) Failed to count the number of files in "/var/spool/postfix/maildrop": No such file or directory
    9/1/08 10:34:12 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master) Failed to count the number of files in "/var/spool/postfix/maildrop": No such file or directory
    9/1/08 10:34:16 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master) Failed to count the number of files in "/var/spool/postfix/maildrop": No such file or directory
    9/1/08 10:34:16 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master) Failed to count the number of files in "/var/spool/postfix/maildrop": No such file or directory

12. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

and when i did repair it said this:

Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26.