my macbook seems to be slowing down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JosephEsquivel, Sep 1, 2008.

1. JosephEsquivel macrumors regular

I have a C2D 2.0 MB with 4 GB ram and a 250 G HD with about 100 GB free, now when i open up somethin in finder, or am moving files between folders, theres a 5-10 second pause between when i move somethign and it actually goes. I have cleared all the caches with MainMenu, and looking at my memory all 4 GB works and without opening too many programs i still have 3 GB free.

any ideas what may be goin on?

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

try restarting the computer? repair permissions?

3. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

ok ive repaired permissions, reset multiple times, did a hardware check, cleared cache's and temp files and its still slow, anythig else i could do?

4. EB66 macrumors 6502

somewhere in the preferences there is a section i think maybe in security and somehow mine was set but there is an option to to encrypt all the data that is sent back and forth from ram and hd or something but that will slow it down too

5. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Do you mean FileVault?

Do you use your MP with it's battery?If so start to use it with it because when it doesn't have it's battery then it slows down.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, it's probably FileVault. That slows everything down, any data being transfered needs ti ve encrypted and such. ZTurn it off and you're set.

7. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

the encryption thing in filevault is off, never on, still doin it

8. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Open Activity Monitor and see there if there is anything that uses a lot CPU.