My macbook shutdown random, suspect UserEventAgent routine.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by binux, Oct 4, 2012.

1. binux, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

binux macrumors newbie

Hello folks,

My intel macbook running OSX 10.7.4 shutdown itself after a pop up message "are you sure you want to shutdown your computer now?" options are "restart" "sleep" "cancel" "shutdown". If I don't respond to this in about a second, it will shutdown the computer. I suspected the hardware, did basic checks, reset the NVRAM etc, suspected the powermanagemet and re-set it but problem remained.

I then monitored the log files, dmesg output and console for any possible log entry and figrued out there was a co-relation between UserEventAgent alerts and the pop up message. Everytime this UserEventAgent alert appeared in the console diagnostic message, the pop-up also came up. The console diagnostic messages appears something like this.

[date][time][UserAgentEvent: ] Machine active for 72 seconds since last reported.
    [date][time][UserAgentEvent: ] Machine active for 116 seconds since last reported.

The message and the pop up seem to be perfectly co-related, If I keep typing on the keyboard, this doesn't seem to appear, if I take my hands off the popup comes alive at a random time.

I think the next step I need to do is to understand which UserEventAgent plugin is generating this message and find out why? Or is there a better way to get rid of this behaviour or reset it?

Many thanks in advance for your comments and help. I don't have Apple support, I don't think I can afford to take it to Apple :(

~binu

Attached Files:

2. binux thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't look like it is a common problem. Would you recommend any OSX developer forum who may know how to troubleshoot and fix it?