Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceybigred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
i've recently noticed that playing music on my macbook has started to sound muffled. at first if figured it was the speakers i was plugging into but then i tried them with my ipod, and no issues there. so then i figured it might be the port where i plug my speakers in but i also notice the distortion when i have nothing plugged in and am just playing music from my computer directly.

i guess i should take it in but i'm a little concerned they'll give me a hard time since i upgraded my own hard drive and such...i want to get a good idea of what might be causing the issue before i decided to give the genius bar a go.

any thoughts? suggestions?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Sounds like it may be a problem with the internal speakers. Muffled sound usually indicates speaker distortion. The internal speakers are not the best and as you can imagine are small and easily prone to being damaged by playing music too loud.

Take it in to Apple if it's still under warranty. Replacing the hard drive and memory on your MacBook does not void the warranty.

Regards.

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
i've recently noticed that playing music on my macbook has started to sound muffled. at first if figured it was the speakers i was plugging into but then i tried them with my ipod, and no issues there. so then i figured it might be the port where i plug my speakers in but i also notice the distortion when i have nothing plugged in and am just playing music from my computer directly.

i guess i should take it in but i'm a little concerned they'll give me a hard time since i upgraded my own hard drive and such...i want to get a good idea of what might be causing the issue before i decided to give the genius bar a go.

any thoughts? suggestions?

Is it a 13? If so, and you have a keyboard cover on it, that could be causing it because the keyboard is above the speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.