Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielJen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Hi,

My friend gave me a bunch of DVD movies, some may be burnt I think, and they all work fine except one, whenever I insert it into the drive it reads for about 15 seconds then ejects the disc without any error message. Every other DVD I've ever tried works fine, only this one gets spat out. Can anyone help me at all, please? Someone told me to update the drive's firmware, but where and how do I do that? (I'm not very good with computers)

By the way my drive is:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857
Firmware Revision: HAC1

Thanks so much for any help!

Daniel

DanielJen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2006
It's a DVD Movie, a Hollywood feature film, I don't know what else to say, really.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
If the disk doesn’t work in your player, it could be a bad disk (perhaps a bad counterfeit- I am not making accusations- It is just a possibility). If there is no catalog track and it is not read as blank, it could eject the media. It could even be some sort of weird format that your Mac has been told is a violation of copy protection, but usually this results in a Mac turning grey (not a KP) and freezing.

I have had bad disks, those that didn't properly burn, rejected by my Mac. Just my expirence and thoughts.

Anybody else?

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Mine does that sometimes with discs that are slightly too thick. Try this: hold your macbook on it's side so the drive slot is facing up. In a quick motion, shoot the disc in fast by pushing it in quick and hard. It should take it and all will be fine, if this is the problem.

alexoiknine

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
My iMac has been doing that with a WWII documentary collection that I have. It will play on my MacBook Pro, but not my iMac (which is frustrating because it has the screen size.) It will go in, I hear it in there for a few second, then it comes out with no explanation as to why it won't play it.

I at least know it'll play on the MacBook Pro, but it's not an ideal situation when I have a big iMac screen right at my desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.