My Macbook Starts up Slow

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mikums1112, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Mikums1112, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

Mikums1112 macrumors newbie

When I first got my Macbook it used to start up so fast, now it takes like 10- 15 seconds to start up and it has only been 1 year since I bought it. I have a Late 2009 Macbook (got it in January 2010) it has a capacity of 250GB hard drive, I currently have 212 left my OS X Version is 10.6.6. Could anyone please help?
    And I just noticed now that Safari is kind of slow

Thank you

2. simsaladimbamba

With "start up" do you mean you shut down your MacBook and then when you use it again, you press the power button again and see the whole boot up circle?
    Because 10 to 15 seconds to boot up from an HDD is quite fast.
    Or do you mean the MB takes 10 to 15 seconds to wake from sleep?

3. Mikums1112 thread starter macrumors newbie

I shut it down then the next day start it back up, when I first got it, it was very fast when it started up , went right into the desktop took like not even 5 seconds

4. simsaladimbamba

So you go to the :apple: > SHUT DOWN or press the power button and select SHUT DOWN?
    Or do you go to :apple: > SLEEP or press the power button and select SLEEP?
    Because a boot time for 10 to 15 seconds with a mechanical and platter based HDD is not normal, as it should be more around 30 to 45 seconds.

Anyway, if you really shut the MB down, why not use the SLEEP feature? It will allow you to have almost instant access to your Mac in two seconds.