My macBook stopped and didn't start up ???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by engbatt, Aug 14, 2008.

1. engbatt macrumors newbie

Hi all

please i want your help .. i have MacBook just buy it yesterday from one of my friends and i am a new one in using mac osx.

after read some about mac osx i tried to setup a fresh mac osx leopard 1.5 but i haven't no discs with me so i have acopy with .dmg in the hard and i download a turotial to setup a new leopard without DVD

http://homepage.mac.com/pnut/tutorials/installing_leopard_without_dvd.mov

i followed the steps but my HD can't partioned as it contains startup files. but i said to my self lets try another thing and i made the destination is HD and after the restore done and i try to reboot and setup the new one ...... but after restart the macbook didn't start any way just the apple logo and stop ..

what i can do now???

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Without a disk, you might be hurting. BTW, I have Leopard disks with all of my Macs. Perhaps you can get to a text console and do something but I'm not familiar with what to do to get Leopard back up and running without a disk. So I will focus on how to get a disk rather than what you might be able to do without one...

Can you ask your friend to look for the disk? Leopard disks are available on ebay for prices ranging upward from $9.99 (current bid). Not unlike Windows machines with those "COA" stickers, your Macbook gives you the right to run OS X. It does not, however give you the right to perpetual updates. You should be able to determine from your Macbook serial number what version of OS X it came with.

There is even the possibility of ordering a replacement Leopard disk directly from Apple. They aren't known for value pricing, but you are really replacing a lost disk, not upgrading. You would have to go through AppleCare and let them know you have a Macbook but have lost the disk. I spoke with them this morning and their first answer was that you would have to pay retail for an OS X disk but they did admit that there was a possibility to order a replacement disk.

I've run into lost disk issues over and over again through the years. I seem to remember that both Dell and HP will sell you a Windows XP restore disk if you have one of their systems, but I don't remember the price. So it's only logical for Apple to meet or exceed this level of service. The flea market / ebay price for OEM Windows disks is around $50. The flea market / ebay price for Leopard disks seems to be about the same but there are a lot fewer of them for sale. (ebay search terms "os x restore")

If you call AppleCare and give them your serial number and they are willing to sell you the restore disk for $50, go for it as it also contains ilife applications that came with your macbook and these would not be included if you purchased a retail OS disk.

3. engbatt thread starter macrumors newbie

thanxx man for your help

but i am from egypt and if i ordered a restore discs from apple care .. it will shipping to me after 4-6 weeks .. i think it's too much and i can't wait all that time .

thanxxx