Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D4F

Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I came back from Europe this morning and while waiting at NYC airport I was browsing the Apple website and to my disbelief I saw that they are now using the Santa Rosa platform.
Being European I was totally shocked that Apple made no announcement of this when I was purchasing my MB 43 days ago.
In Apple store nobody knew this (apparently and I am not going to argue with this) at that time and basically I ended up with a outdated version in less than 2 months.
Now for those that don't get it the SR update is a huge advantage for users like me (musician) and it is a big deal.
So as soon as I landed in MIA I rushed to the apple store looking for some answers.

Moral of the story is... I got the 2.2 C2D now :D

And please do not think that this was some kind of exceptional move from apple.
If you are in same situation as I am I suggest going to your nearest Apple store and politely ask for your new MB.

Hint:
iPhone was announced,
Leopard was announced.

Please do not give me this 'that's how apple does and that's what they can' speech. If that would be 100% legal, I would not get my MB replaced after no more than 45 seconds of conversation.

I DID PAY the restocking fee (that's their policy and no need to argue about it) but the difference is so huge (for me at least) that decision was simple.

Anyway I am happy and that's all :D

Hutch98R1

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
You as a consumer have certain rights too and I suggest looking into that.
I'm not disagreeing.... but what is the law? link to it?
Hope far in advance should they have to give notice?

In my opinion, maybe you have a solid point at less than 30 days. If they made announcements about things, sales would cease approaching the release date. Every store is probably stuck with all of their copies of Tiger once the Leopard release date was announced.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Nobody told you Leopard was going to be updated to 10.6 when you bought that either...

Apple also changed the price of the iPhones ... they didn't have to send rebate/refunds, but they did.

With the lawsuits, it is unlikely that customers will ever again issue rebates without that being known before the purchase date. They'll just stick with the 14 day price adjustment policy, but not announce that it is available either.

D4F

Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I'm not disagreeing.... but what is the law? link to it?
Hope far in advance should they have to give notice?

In my opinion, maybe you have a solid point at less than 30 days. If they made announcements about things, sales would cease approaching the release date. Every store is probably stuck with all of their copies of Tiger once the Leopard release date was announced.

I am not lawyer but my lawyer (we traveled together) told me a simple thing without any explanation to it.

Go and talk to them and if they refuse I will talk to them tomorrow and I guarantee you 100% you will get it replaced. Thx to the great American law there is more you can do than you actually think you can.
Then again, thx to the same law there is a lot they can do and if you do not remind them of that they can peacefully sleep at night.
All comes to the mood of the store manager wether case will be closed or it will advance to the next lvl.
Next lvl usually is simple as only a few will stand against corporate giants.

Nobody told you Leopard was going to be updated to 10.6 when you bought that either...

Apple also changed the price of the iPhones ... they didn't have to send rebate/refunds, but they did.

With the lawsuits, it is unlikely that customers will ever again issue rebates without that being known before the purchase date. They'll just stick with the 14 day price adjustment policy, but not announce that it is available either.

If the software comes out with bugs or it's not complete then it's sellers responsibility to update them as it's treaded as unfinished product. It's just that we all got used to this fact and we simply buy it. Developers know this so they push half assed stuff just to start making $$.

If apple wouldn't sent rebate/refunds on the iPhone case they would make a economical suicide as customer confidence would drop drastically.
When people bought the iPhone nobody asked for a price drop (those who purchased I mean of course) so it's not exactly the case we talk about here.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
how long out can a purchase from apple go before they wont do this?

Published policy allows for 14 days, except in the case of custom configured machines, of which there is a no return policy. But as we can see, sometimes Apple are willing to be flexible.

D4F

Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
how long out can a purchase from apple go before they wont do this?

there is no specified date on it.
they have 14 days which is minimum law mandatory as far as I know.
But fact is that every new technical update is known WAY before they put it on the shelves which means they are aware what will happen but simply want you to cover the losses as much as they can before new item ships.

Apple only advertises (or mostly) new products. And product update like this (from official 2GIG to 4 GIG and Video card) is actually pretty significant which makes things pretty obvious.

velvetelvis

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
mmmmmmm... im just over 2 months? nah, i like what i got. how much better could it be anyway?

D4F

Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
mmmmmmm... im just over 2 months? nah, i like what i got. how much better could it be anyway?

If you do not need a lot of memory then not really worth the hassle as the graphics card is still a joke.
If you do need memory then the story is different. I'm in heaven now :D
Cubase 4 running like mad with 6 VI's and about 18 WAVs.
Before this was not possible.

Let me put it this way...

Do any of you think that a store manager would risk loosing his job (intended act against company profit regulations is considered a crime) to replace some guys laptop??

He knows he can.

Margin of people like me is waaaay lower then the number of laptops people bought in the last 43 days so they do the math.

Problem is that people think (like one of posters above) that this is 100% legal and there is nothing you can do about it and that's where apple gets the extra $$.

Simple

velvetelvis

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
i was just joking at first, but then i realized it has been under 2 mo and now im wondering if im just being overly picky.

D4F

Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
i was just joking at first, but then i realized it has been under 2 mo and now im wondering if im just being overly picky.

That's my point.
If you feel this will actually make a noticeable difference then go for it. Another + for me is that I got leopard now and do not have to buy it for $100+... and this is where my restocking fee gets eaten as I was going to buy Leopard anyway:D

velvetelvis

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
so i called, and they told me that they had no idea about the update either and that i was out of the 14 day period. oh well... thanks for the discussion.

velvetelvis

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Lol you give up easy.

ill try talking to somebody different tomorrow, but like you said, its not really gonna do all that much for me. i just think they should have had the new info available for those of us who would have waited. but thats why they didnt put it out i guess.

lampdeskchair

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
I got mine in late august, and ordered it online. I think I'm screwed lol.

Ah well, at least it's not a huge update.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I am not lawyer but my lawyer (we traveled together) told me a simple thing without any explanation to it.

Go and talk to them and if they refuse I will talk to them tomorrow and I guarantee you 100% you will get it replaced. Thx to the great American law there is more you can do than you actually think you can.
Then again, thx to the same law there is a lot they can do and if you do not remind them of that they can peacefully sleep at night.
All comes to the mood of the store manager wether case will be closed or it will advance to the next lvl.
here.

Sounds like you got a nice manager who was willing to return your macbook, as you would be paying the return fee and buying a new one.

If you have this so called knowledge of a law that says that they have to allow you to return a used computer after their return policy, I would love to hear what it is.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.