My Macbook story

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by damir.hara, May 14, 2007.

1. damir.hara macrumors newbie

damir.hara

Hello everyone, this is my first post on these forums even though I have been reading them for a while now and I wanted to say thanks for having such a awesome Mac community.

But now to my story:

I was a proud owner of a 12" iBook G4 1.33ghz for about a year and 8 months and a couple of weeks ago I got new memory (added 1gb) and a new hard drive (100gb) installed by my boss here at work (computer nerd type of guy who knows everything about computers). About two days later my iBook started acting weird, it would boot up and show no HD on my desktop or the white menu bar at the top. So I got online and researched the problem. Few minutes into researching it I found out it was something to do with my boot disk and I had to go to my preferences and select my HD to boot from, so I tried that and nothing. So for the next 24 hours I messed with it and still couldn't get it to work. At this point I was frustrated and sad at the same time, I couldn't believe that I just got my iBook back and now it was ******** out on me. So finally I gave in and listened to one of my friends who worked at my local Apple Store, he told me to schedule an appointment with a Genius to have it looked at but that was absolutely the LAST thing I wanted to do since I was out of warranty and didn't have AppleCare. I gave in to his words and scheduled an appointment the next day.

So after band practice I headed to my local Apple Store (SLC, Ut one if anyone is interested) and I was there at 7:40pm sharp for my appointment. I sat down and my name was called, a genius came over and I told him my problem. He nodded and said "Oh alright so we most likely have a software problem" and I agreed with him since I read up on it on here and other forums for the past 3 days. Well two hours later I am still sitting at the bar (9:30pm) and he is still working on it in between his other iPod appointments and random employee questions (he was the only genius working that night). 10pm rolls around and still nothing (the store is now closed and i am the only customer left), we clear the hard drive and start installing OS X on it again which works fine. After that we begin to install iLife '06 it errors half way through every try. Finally he closes my iBook and says that my brand new Hard Drive is going out on me. He says they can repair it for $140 plus $40 service to put in a brand new 40gb hard drive. And I am sitting there not saying a word and basically just thinking what I am going to do without a lap top especially since I am moving to California next month with hardly any money for rent let alone a new computer. But the kind and awesome Genius that he was he says to me "but since you have been sitting here for 3 hours which is something I cant let my customers do I can give you a brand new white 1.83ghz Macbook for $0 charge." By then I was speechless and couldn't believe what he had just told me. So I say "can you give me 5 minutes so I can think about that"...at the time I didn't even realize that I didn't say "YESS!!!" but I was in a state of absolute shock. I mean I was getting a brand new Macbook for a crappy broken iBook that was almost two years old?! Let alone I had no warranty/apple care on it. I couldn't believe what he was saying. But a few minutes later it hit me and I called him back over and asked "what about the Black Macbook?" he replied: "sure, I can give you that one for $400 extra" I simply replied with "Lets do it!".

And a few minutes later we we're into the paper work, I could hardly even remember my name how excited I was. Once I filled a paper out the Genius asked me if I ever looked into Apple Care and I replied with a yes but I wasn't ready to purchase it now since I didn't even have that $400 on my checking account let alone an additional $250 for the Apple Care. So he says "How about we do this.." and start typing...then he calls me over to his computer and says "I will give you $999 credit for your iBook so that will bring your Macbook down to $500 but I will take an additional $300 off and make it $200 and the Apple Care being $180 making it $380 total". With the biggest grin on my face I shake my head yes...I couldn't believe he was giving me all this stuff for absolutely nothing...to this day I still can't comprehend what had happened. I walked out of the apple store at 10:30pm with a brand new Black Macbook and Apple Care for $405 with tax on my Credit Card. I was one happy customer...THANK YOU APPLE!

Sorry for rambling on for so long, but I had to share my story. Hope you enjoyed it.

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Welcome to the MR forums, and glad apple made things right for you. One suggestion, however, when typing large blocks of text in a post, if you break them into paragraphs it makes it easier to read.

Enjoy your time with MR.

3. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

That is why I love Apple Stores.

I was at the Apple Store closest to me a few months ago with my TiBook. I'd been having a few problems with the machine recognising the original Apple RAM I had installed. The Genius asked me a couple of questions about the machine and within 5 minutes had ripped out the original 512MB of memory and given me a fresh 1GB, all for free.

Ten minutes of my time, some drooling over quad core Mac Pros and I walked out of the Apple Store with 512MB extra memory.

4. PDE macrumors 68020

great story! This is what makes Apple tolerable - every now and again they impress and surprise you with this kind of service! And then you're hooked again....

5. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Omg I want to break my ibook now! Gimme a blackbook Apple!

6. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Nice, very nice.
    Unfortunately for me if anything ever does go wrong with my Mac, I'll be dealing with Applecare over the phone, as despite how many stores they keep opening in the UK, the make them all as far as possible away from me.

7. Zegna macrumors member

8. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

I wish the biggest reseller of Apple here in Denmark did stuff like that. In Denmark there is no "official" Apple stores, only Humac. They've gotten a pretty bad reputation over here as they tend to be very arrogant(speel check) towards people with problems.

/rant off

Nice story :)... It must really have been an amazing experience :D

9. winchest macrumors regular

10. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

:eek: lucky lol hope you enjoy it. Apple stores rock with there customer service(not all) but most of them.:D

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Although you got a crazy good deal, I can't believe you didn't just take the totally free white one.

Now that is a steal :)

12. unixfool macrumors 6502a

This is the best story I've read here in a long time. :)

13. CmonRichard macrumors newbie

An extemely positive post

Thanks Damir.

It's so good to hear about such a wonderful experience. Sometimes you begin to wonder with all the negative comments about Apple on this forum.

Then you read a story like this & your faith is renewed all over again.

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I wont believe this story without the following photographic evidence:

your new MacBook with the obligatory "holycrap-im-damn-cool-OMFGBBQ!!!111!!" smile on your face!

cmon, you know you wanna show it off.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm wondering, do Apple geniuses normally have this much leeway? I mean, yikes! the Op got to walk away with a new MB + Applecare with at least 60% off the sticker price! This is notable considering how little Apple is willing to budge on pricing.

Kudos to the OP for such a great deal, but was this the Genius' last night on the job? :)

16. damir.hara thread starter macrumors newbie

damir.hara

Haha I might just do that.

Haha well he was a LEAD Genius.

17. PDE macrumors 68020

It's precisely because apple will not budge on pricing that they can afford to do these kinds of things!

When they gave me my 17" I gave them my 15 and because I told them I always want my computers on my credit card so I can get extended free warranty coverage, they issues a refund for my old 15" and then recharged the same amount for the new one and just wrote customer service rebate $1000 or something like that on the receipt. Amazingly good service and very accommodating.