My MacBook, the hard drive eater

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LumbermanSVO, Oct 31, 2009.

1. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I bought a Nvidia MacBook shortly after they came out. About three weeks later I was using it and the OS froze, I tried to reboot and got nothing but the white screen. I could still boot from my FW drive with the install disk and bare bones OS install. I was lucky that I was headed near an Apple store and had a day off when it failed. The drive(#1) had failed and they replaced it with no hassle and I was on my way. All said and done I was only down for a day.

A couple weeks later the new drive(#2) did the same thing, but this time I got the blinking folder with the questions mark upon reboot. I was once again lucky that I was near an Apple store and taking some time off and was able to get it fixed quickly.

While I was at the store I expressed concern about having multiple drives fail, and pressed for them to just replace the whole machine. They assured me that it was just a fluke and sent me down the road.

A couple months ago I upgraded the drive with a Crucial SSD(#4), today that drive had failed. It refuses to mount. Furthermore, if there are any drives connected when booting the computer gets to the white screen then hangs, endlessly. If I boot it with no drives and wait for the blinking fold with the question mark then I can plug in a my FW drive and it will boot just fine.

I put my regular drive(#3) in and got the same booting problems, but it boots fine when in an external case after I wait for the blinking folder. This time I'm no where near an Apple store and don't know when I will be.

To make matters even worse, my external iTunes drive came up with an 'invalid b-node size' error and appears to be totally hosed. I tried running DiskWarrior and it just hangs.

What do I have to do to get Apple to just replace this computer? I'm fearful that it is going to kill drive #3 and I'll just be left with my external/emergency boot drive that also had my TimeMachine backups. If this machine kills that too then I'll have lost ALL my data.

In one day I have lost a SSD and a 2TB disk. This is proving to be the biggest POS computer I've ever owned.

2. chill. macrumors 6502

i think the general rule is 3 strikes to hit a home run for a new computer

3. trungthiendo macrumors regular

yeah its 3 repairs, and i believe when u go in for a 4th they replace it, but if u are nice and get the right manager they might replace it on the 3rd try

4. njean777 macrumors 6502

well if you happen to get near an apple store then take all the drives it has destroyed and tell the genius and show them to him/her. Destroying an ssd is really horrible those things are not cheap and neither is a 2tb hard drive. Complain to the store manager also. Just dont be rude about it and you will probably get a new one.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

rule of 3. however, could be corrupt files. is all the stuff on the hard drive fresh since you bought the macbook? Any stuff carried over from older computer?

6. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

I used a time machine backup to migrate over from a SR MBP. Can corrupt files really kill drives to the point that they cant be used at all?