My MacBook Thoughts...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by urbis, Nov 26, 2015.

1. urbis macrumors newbie

A few weeks ago, I picked up a ridiculously cheap base model rMB... too cheap to pass up.

Having used it for a few weeks, I've found the following:

The screen is fantastic, really fantastic.

The lack of USB port is a complete frustration, adaptors galore to even connect a USB stick, heaven forbid you have a low battery at the time, otherwise it's a more expensive adaptor!

The keyboard is too shallow for my big hands.

Speed wise and performance, no issues whatsoever, especially like the fact it's non-fan cooled.

However, the keyboard and USB port issue lead me to buy a MBP yesterday, which is more suited to my needs.

Hopefully, gen 2 will iron out some of these issues.

2. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The MacBook isn't cheap by any means ....

BTW, I agree about the lack of USB ports: the minimum should have been 2 USB-C, or at least 1 USB-C and one MagSafe port.

3. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

These aren't "issues". These are "features".

In order to make a best-in-class thin/light notebook Apple developed a new, compact keyboard technology and utilized the new USB protocol to reduce the need for ports.

Understand that for every full-sized and fully-optioned notebook customer such as yourself there are an equal amount of notebook customers who don't want to drag around ports they don't need and want the ultimate in thin/light design. Multiple USB-A ports, HDMI ports, Ethernet ports, SD card readers, and VGA ports add weight, thickness, reduce battery life, and increase cost. I haven't used an SD card reader in a notebook ever, not once, yet I've been forced to drag one around in my notebooks for decades. Today's modern users use Bluetooth to connect to our Mice and Speakers, we use wi-fi for Internet, we use Dropbox for file and photo storage, we don't need all of these ports which make our experience compromised in our search for the thinnest/lightest notebook alive.

If you have big hands and need old technologies like thumb drives the Retina MacBook isn't for you. That's why they make the Air and the Pro. Larger notebooks with a ton of ports. So the next gen Retina MacBook won't be "ironing out these issues" as they aren't issues. They are benefits.

BJ

4. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

You mention a number of design flaws that Apple will fix in the 2016 model. I'm holding off and refuse to buy a 2015 model until they fix them.

5. Nychot macrumors 6502a

6. Dark macrumors regular

Personally, I have grown to love the Macbook keyboard. I also do not find the single usb-c port as a downfall whatsoever. Any files that I may need from other machines or for work are accessed via the cloud (iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox) which is much more convenient than carrying around USB sticks (It is 2015 after all). My personal rMB has even replaced my work Lenovo Thinkpad due to its portability.

You even said it yourself - You purchased a MBP because it was more suited to your needs. Just because the rMB isn't suited to your particular needs does not mean it is "flawed"

7. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I don't need high end CPU or GPU. But I love retina screens.
    I use my laptop for programming and surfing the web. Want light, and has to be high DPI screen. rMBP meets those demands.

But...
    Only one port is a real mess. I connect my mbp to external monitor(s), I always use external disks, etc. Now, that wouldn't be a problem if the USB-C had any decent docks. But till this day the best 'dock' is the apple one. And that is not a dock at all. Just an adapter.

I'm also waiting for revision 2. By the time second gen rMB comes out, I hope we will see a few decent usb-c docks on the market, and at least one more usb-c port. If Apple offers 14 rMB, even better. But that won't stop me for purchasing one. ATM I would have to deal with a LOT of compromises just to get light and thin? Thanks, but no thanks :)

8. Dark macrumors regular

Again, seems like the rMB is not best suited for your needs. If your constantly utilizing it in a "docked" setup with external monitors and disks then portability isn't your primary concern.

With that being said
    https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/OWC-USB-C-Dock/

This looks like the best dock coming to market. I have an iMac at home, but I may grab this for my office when I want to dock my rMB.

9. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I'm always on the go. But I don't work in coffee shops, I go to different companies to get my job done. And in 90% of the case they have a monitor for me.
    But never the less, when I'm in my office I hook up my laptop to at least one monitor.

As far as usb-c docks go, all of them are 'coming soon'. Lots of postponements, cancelled kickstar projects, etc. Not even one of the current usb-c adapter/hubs works like promised. Except apple one, but apple one is to basic for my needs :)

When I see them I'm gonna believe that they are finally here :)

10. urbis thread starter macrumors newbie

I would define flash drives as "old technology", they're ideal for sharing files with friends etc.

My storage is run from a 4 bay QNAP NAS, so I'm well aware of using "the cloud".

Bought it at 3 weeks old from a local second hand store for £499.99... hence couldn't pass it up!

11. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think people are not understanding the selling point of the MacBook. It's portability. Period. That's it. The computer has less power, fewer ports and a different keyboard for that one single reason — it's more portable. A portable computer isn't intended to have 17 things plugged into it. It's designed to fit in your iPad bag and be pulled out and used when you're on the go. That's what I do with mine.

Now, don't get me wrong, the MacBook is a fully-capable machine for someone who wants to use it as their only device, but for many people it is a SECONDARY computer. Yes, it's an expensive secondary computer, but it's not designed for everyone to run out and buy three of them, it's designed for the people who value portability who can afford to have this for when they are on the go.

I'm a journalist, and this thing is the greatest thing in the world for me. I don't need to plug in a million things. I need something that's easy to carry to an interview or a meeting and use completely wirelessly. Therefore, I love mine. That being said, I have a rMBP at home for when I want more power, to plug in a couple of hard drives or monitors, etc.

It's not like Apple is tricking anyone into buying this computer. It is as advertised. Maybe people need to be more aware of their needs before they run out and buy a $1,300 laptop.

12. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Bravo all around, required reading for anyone on the fence about the RMB.

BJ

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Most of the people tend to see the MacBook as a retina MBA ... and this is wrong

14. xDKP macrumors 6502a

xDKP

I bought mine this week, as my new office machine and will use it for work - primarily office programs, mail and such and therefore it's damn perfect... I bought a small adaptor for USB-C / USB just in case (under £10 and lovely color matched alu) and a small Kingston dual flash stick with 64gb online as well...

[​IMG]

Initially thats pretty much all I need and must say after using this keyboard over the weekend its grown a lot on me... Actually like this way better than my old MBP keyboard (which I already loved)...

15. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

I don't need ports, I feel like if I'm plugging anything in, I'd rather the adapter since it all comes out of one area. However my usage... everything I do is wireless now... I've not used that port for anything other than charging the thing. I do think the adapter should come with the Laptop though, especially when you see the price of the thing.

As for the keyboard, it seems fine to me, I can type on it just as easy as anything else. Yes there is little travel, but they feel way more clicky, you still get that satisfying feeling when you press down.

For me it only has one issue and that is it isn't using a Skylake Core M chip, the Broadwell GPU is dire and struggles at the simplest tasks.

16. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

I also bought mine on a whim, after buying my woman one a month or so prior. She got ticked that I keep stealing hers, so i also found a cheap open box base model.

The one port thing isn't a big deal for me, as this is strictly my mobile 2nd setup. Actually, I also have quite a few mobile systems, but this is the one I always reach for. USB isn't big for me, since it;s a 2nd system, and I don't have much need to connect it with stuff anyhow. I did, however, recently pick up the $99 Microsoft dock which seems to allow me some power, a couple display ports, and a couple USB 2.0 slots. Still testing that to see if I can get above 1080p though. But even if I can't I'm OK with this specific system.

The keyboard is actually nice for me. I've never been a touch typist, so it works OK. Actually, as a "hunt and peck" type, the shallow keys actually suite me better.

Me, I'm OK with this unit. The only thing that'll get me to upgrade is when they come out with a 14" zero-bezel version.... LOL

17. Mr Retina macrumors regular

Mr Retina

This thing replaced my Air 2 as my mobile machine..I have a 2015 15 inch for all my "heavy" lifting. When I want to browse,Netflix, read, etc I do it all on my SG macbook. Im not a big fan of the iOS app environment like I used to be, I would much rather have a very mobile OS X machine to take with me outside of the house.