My MacBook turns off after (rather heavy) usage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by psykopatsak, Jul 9, 2010.

1. psykopatsak macrumors newbie

as topic said, i was playing a game on my macbook (running WinXP SP3 under bootcamp) and after a while it suddenly turned off, as if you pulled the power cord and battery. i suspect this is due to overheating, but i dont think it should overheat. i have played way heavier games whitout trouble, so it could also be one of those windows-bugs.

however i think that if the laptop is placed so the ventilation outs are clear and nothing is on top of it, screen is straigt up (i use external screen, so i dont need to angle it), it shouldn't be able to overheat. is this a naive presumtion?

any way to check what's happening?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. psykopatsak thread starter macrumors newbie

the 2008/early 2009 macbook. the white and sqare-ish one. with mouse button.

4. psykopatsak thread starter macrumors newbie

OK i think problem might be solved. apperantly there is an accnowlaged bug in the game i played that can cause exactly such a crash. however the computer was still very hot when it happened.

5. psykopatsak thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, another symptom: it doesent want to restart immediatly after crash.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I highly doubt this is the problem, but you could check for this. It was a problem with early MacBooks and this just sounds strikingly similar to it.

7. psykopatsak thread starter macrumors newbie

interesting. but that is when running macOS, right? this is on boot camp, but anyways i'll test it.

also, i should mention that where i live we have a heatwawe with tempratures up to 30C, still below the stated maximum operating temprature. but after a couple of shutdowns i moved my table fan so it fans the macbook, and i put the macbook on a few short "stands" with the result that the underside, which was ver, VERY hot is fanned. no problems so far. but i still do not know if this is just a coincidence.