My macbook Turns on but nothing comes up(black screen)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by changhyuk, Sep 20, 2008.

1. changhyuk macrumors newbie

so i turn my macbook pro on this morning (didnt turn it on for about a week). It makes that "DEEEE" sound like always but my screen is black. Like its not even on. The keyboard also seems like its not working because if i press caplocks or numpad, the green light wont turn on.

Need help fast

2. scott85213 macrumors member

Pretty sure this is what happened when my video card died. Try using an external monitor. If it doesn't work, your video card is dead.

3. beeh macrumors regular

Try booting from a CD as well.

Do a google search on this type of problem, you'll probably come up with lots of things to try.

4. nightelf macrumors 6502

My MBP had the same problem 2-3 weeks ago. No internal/external display, but I could boot in Target Mode, or connect to it using Screen Sharing.

They had to change the motherboard because the video card died. I hope you have AppleCare because this is a very expensive repair (up to $1400 for some). If you don't, try to talk with an Apple Genius and tell them this is a very common problem that Nvidia already acknowledged. I read some people got their MBP repaired for free.

The sad news is that even with the new motherboard you could end with a dead video card again.