My Macbook wakes itself from sleep at random

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Moriarty, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Moriarty macrumors 6502

This has happened to me twice now. In the middle of the night, I have been woken up to the delightful grind of the slot-load drive checking for a disk, followed by my bedroom being illuminated by the display and my external drive whirring up.

Anyone know what could cause my computer to just randomly decide to wake itself up from sleep? I've read about people's Macbooks NOT waking up from sleep (and that's all my searches seem to turn up with), but mine does, and for no apparent reason when I am asleep in bed!

Thanks

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

There was an issue with EyeTV making the macs wake but the last update fixed that. Do you have Eyetv installed?

Do you use any other app that has a scheduling agent? Like some backup software, calendars, alarm clocks, ...

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Actually, I own a MBP and the same exact thing happens to me. I have woken up in the middle of the night more than a few times too because of it and I find it very annoying indeed. I'm hoping to find an answer here as well.

4. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Same Here

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Mine had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a dead bluetooth board. Turn your bluetooth off and see if it still does it.

6. Moriarty thread starter macrumors 6502

No schedules, bluetooth and airport off, and no EyeTV (whatever that is, never heard of it so I don't think I have one :)). And the only other computer in the house is off.
    :confused:

7. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I had this problem with my Macbook. The fix was a logic board replacement.

8. Moriarty thread starter macrumors 6502

Ouch... don't really want to send the computer away for repairs... oh well if it keeps happening I guess I will have to, unless there's some software problem that can be solved.

Or I can stop being lazy and turn the thing off completely at night :)

9. jmadlena Guest

One time in the middle of the night, my MBP turned itself on all by it's lonesome. It was completely off, plugged in and lid closed. Very startling.

10. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Switching off doesn't help. Mine used to turn on as well. Then, for several reasons, I reinstalled Leopard (via Archive and Install) and have not had any problems ever since.

11. rogair macrumors member

Is your "Wake on LAN" enabled in System Preferences -> Energy Saver? Turn it off.