My MacBook was stolen in a burglary....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MarlboroLite, Aug 28, 2009.

1. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Well it happened Tuesday morning. I had been away for the past two days and coming home I noticed my apartment door was open and busted...and gone was my precious mac. My black macbook was my switch mac from windows, it was only a year and a half old--I planned to keep it for at least another year and a half.

So the insurance should pay me in the coming weeks and I am not sure if I should wait for the next installment laptops or buy it now. Normally I would agree with the "if you need it now buy now" mantra, and while I certainly would like a replacement as soon as possible I have other options available if indeed I decided to wait some. My question is simply if it's worth it to wait. I have heard that the next refresh will change the chip architecture and will be a big leap. I may be willing to wait for that...if it really won't be that big of a leap then I will go ahead and get a new MacBook Pro...but I would like to know if the next update will truly be something big with this new chipset.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you use your machine for? A new processor won't help you read e-mail or browse the web faster.

3. TSE macrumors 68030

You won't notice any difference unless you do processor intensive tasks.

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

If you planned on keeping that Blackbook for another year and a half, any refresh won't make a difference for you. You won't be able to read e-mails or load webpages any faster. Just buy a new one now, I'd suggest picking up a refurb Unibody MacBook!

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I would say buy the 15" 2.4 ghz with 9600 for 1299, its a steal in my opinion but it all matters what you will do with it.

6. MarlboroLite thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Thanks for the replies guys...

No I don't use the computer for heavy processesor intensive tasks except for photoshop. I guess I would be more worried about resale value more than anything. If the leap is similar to that of core duo to core 2 duo then I would think it would have been worth it to wait back then for resale value alone....

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Horrible that you got robbed, but hopefully the insurance will come through without any hassle. As for the buy or wait issue - well, we're only a few months away from 2010, and who knows what news were going to start getting then about the Q1 release. I was about to pull the trigger myself this month but have now opted to wait. Only because I want the latest gfx card; the processor speed etc I have no interest in, the 2.66 baseline 15inch uMBP is more than sufficient to do anything over the coming years including high end gaming.

8. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

mbp 13"

I've got a unibody macbook 2008 and a macbook pro 13" 2009.
    the latter is much, much better than the 2008. It's not that it out-shines a lot in one thing, but it's a lot of things: a bit better display, bit better keyboard (backlit) firewire 800, much, much better battery life. All those things together make the 2009 for me a lot better.
    That said, my wife doesn't notice the difference between them. All depends on personal preferences.
    If you can live two, three, four months without a laptop, wait, otherwise, just buy a mbp 13". You'll love it.

9. Antowns macrumors member

As someone said above, you should get a refurbished system. Usually they are tip-top like new and will come with Snow Leopard either pre-installed or with a disk slipped into the box.

10. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

Just wanted to give you an FYI. My apartment was broken into back in January and an ibook and about $2000 worth of other stuff was stolen. If you are only replacing a stolen macbook it may be more beneficial to pay out of pocket for it. My insurance company raised my rates on my renters insurance by almost double and they also told me if I buy a home and go to purchase homeowners insurance my premiums will be much higher because I filed the renters insurance claim. The claim stays in the system for 5 years. I know it sounds like a catch 22 but it was something I didn't even think about at the time.

11. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Tracking stolen Macs

Here's a question: if your Mac got stolen, can you register your serial number as a stolen Mac with Apple, and does Apple collect or track that info during software updates? It would seem to be workable, despite the lack of a lojack software.

JP

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You can always report your serial to Apple and also to the local police, (Pawn Shops are required to run serial's through local Police Departments.)

Also, use Orbicule.

13. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I'm sure you can tell Apple but I doubt that they'll track it.

Sucks that you got robbed :(

14. weckart macrumors 68040

Apple has nowhere to report a serial to and definitely has no database of IDs of stolen hardware. At best you can have an informal arrangement with your local stores on the off-chance that the thief is stupid enough to get rid of the stolen wares locally. A statement on the Apple website tells you to report all thefts to the police.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Call AppleCare.

They track it in the sense that if the computer ever goes to the Genius Bar, the serial shows up as stolen.

16. JCP21 macrumors member

Yeah report to apple, you may get lucky and get it back [​IMG] or you may just have to buy a new one :(

17. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

It would be cool if apple introduced a "find my iPhone" sort of feature in their laptops that could assist in it's recovery if it's stolen. Makes perfect sense and I think it's another great selling point.

18. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Yeah I figured, but they won't go as far as tracking it down via GPS lol.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, but that's not really what was indicated earlier. Third party software will track it.

20. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Yes I realize that they won't use GPS, but Apple will not find out when your system updates, find the wifi/internet cable and inform the authorities where the MacBook is. Thats what I mentioned before.

21. thomanjones macrumors regular

Never had the opportunity to use it (knock on wood), but I've installed Prey for 'lojack' http://preyproject.com/

22. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Sorry about the stolen laptop. It happened to my family a few years back when our TiPowerbook got stolen at a DJ show. Do you know if the insurance company is going to give you full price on your reimbursement claim? When ours was stolen they did a pro-rate value on the laptop since it was not considered "new" anymore. We actually decided to downgrade to an iBook at the time and used the rest of the money to buy a Nikon D70 kit. Worked out well for us in the long run. I hope your situation works out well too.

23. MarlboroLite thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Im the OP....I see the thread has been resuscitated...well from my sig line you guys can tell I decided not to wait. I really couldn't keep using this old desktop PC I have until February or whenever new MBPs come out. So I went ahead a bought a new one a few weeks ago.

The insurance did not pay full price for the laptop but I got more than enough money back from other "stolen" items. So it's all good. ;)

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

25. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv