My MacBook Will Not Turn Off

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Andyd97, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Andyd97 macrumors newbie

My Aunt recently gave me her MacBook to fix, but I have no idea of how to go about it. She has a late 2010 model white MacBook. The problem is whether you try to put the computer to sleep, shut down, or restart, nothing happens. Additionally, the computer is not connected to the Internet. I tried connecting to WiFi by going to the top of the desktop near the Spotlight Search thing and clicking the WiFi button that is there, but as soon as thr cursor gets there, the rainbow wheel that shows it's loading pops up. To add to the problem, whenever I try to open ANY application, the icon on the dock starts to bounce, however nothing open. To verify, I used Command+Tab and each time, only Finder was open. I've tried the shortcut to turn the computer off (Control+Option+Command+Eject) and have even gone as far as to hold down the power button, but nothing occurs. I've tried other solutions such as going to the Activity Monitor, but as aforementioned, no applications open. I've tried to reset the PRAM and SMC, but no such thing could happen due to applications not opening and the computer not shutting off. Any help, please?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Press and hold the power button until it powers off. This could be 10 seconds or more.

3. Andyd97 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've pressed and held the power button for well over 10 seconds on multiple occasions.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hold it longer. It should power off if you hold it long enough. If it doesn't, you have a hardware problem. Take it to Apple. They can tell you what's wrong with it and what it will take to repair it.

5. Andyd97 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know what I was doing different this time around, but it worked. I can't thank you enough.