My Macbook won't ask for a PASSWORD!!

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Sometimes my MacBook doesn't feeling like asking for a password after waking up from sleep. Most of the time it's good-- when I tap the keyboard to bring it back from sleep or the screensaver it wll ask me for my password. However, sometimes (like this morning, after being left alone for 7 hours) I tapped the keyboard and it went straight from sleep right in OSX without asking for my password. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Just in case anyone asks, I made sure the "require password to wake this computer up from sleep and screensaver" is checked.

garethh

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2006
UK
Oddly, mine did this for a few hours at the start, then suddenly started asking for a password like I had set it to. I have no idea why.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
If trashing prefs does not work, try reinstalling OSX

PS: don't do it if you think its going too far :eek:

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
jason2811 said:
Sometimes my MacBook doesn't feeling like asking for a password after waking up from sleep. Most of the time it's good-- when I tap the keyboard to bring it back from sleep or the screensaver it wll ask me for my password. However, sometimes (like this morning, after being left alone for 7 hours) I tapped the keyboard and it went straight from sleep right in OSX without asking for my password. How can I fix this? Thanks.
Are you certain your computer is in deep sleep? Is the white light pulsing? If not, it may be that your screen is simply dimmed, in which case it would not ask for a password.

You might also trying un-checking "require password...", then close system preferences, re-open and re-check "require password...". I had a similar problem with an energy saver setting that was corrected by cycling the setting. I don't understand why, but it fixed it...:confused:

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
yeah the screen isn't dimmed it is defintely sleeping when the problem occurs. the problem rarely happens but when it does it's annoying.