my macbook wont boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by notsofatjames, Jun 11, 2007.

1. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

My macbook wont boot :(
    Before i shut down, there was a problem with my dock not bouncing or doing anything like that. So i went to terminal and Killall dock, but it said it could not find the process. So i decided id restart to get my dock back working

On start up i get the following errors

CSRHIDTransitionDriver : :stop
    IOBluetoothHCIController : :start Idle Timer Stopped

I've done a bit of googling, and ive even searched the forums, but i cant seem to find a way to repair it.

Ive got back-ups so if worse comes to worse, i can erase and intall, but its a pain for me to get my disks down out of the loft, so i was hoping i could fix my problem without the disks.

Ive tried to boot to safe mode, but same errors. I've reset the PRAM. I can boot to single user mode, and it says stuff that all seems normal until here:
    So naturally i type sh /etc/rc
    and it returns:
    I dont know what else to try to get this to work. I tried fsck -f, but that said the disk was fine. Please help!!

EDIT: Its a macbook 1.83ghz core duo, with 2GB of non apple ram. Its still got its stock 60GB HD in if that matters.

EDIT2: Ive also found that in single user mode my disk is read-only. Is that normal? How can I make it writeable.

2. Avaritia macrumors newbie

You shouldn't run FSCK on a drive that uses HFS+, it's better to boot off the disc and run Disk First Aid for doing any repair. That being said, fsck only checks the file structure of the computer, files can be deleted or corrupted and still not throw up any signs.

If you wanted to, instead of doing an erase and install, try doing an Archive and Install while preserving users and network settings. It will reinstall only the operating system while leaving everything where it is that way all your kext will get reloaded.

3. notsofatjames thread starter macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

i was hoping not to have to go through a re-install. But if its a must, its a must. Ive got to get it done in the next ten minutes or i miss the keynote though!

oh and apple support site said to use fsck.

4. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

I thought it was "killall Dock" as in with a capital 'D'. Anyway, have you tried safe mode? And what other processes were running when you wanted to shutdown? Were you doing any system updates at that moment? There seems to be a bug in the "Installers" whereby when it goes to the "Optimising System Performance" part if you used something or other that interfered with that process it could potentially zero out(i.e wipe out) a critical file. Its been discussed before. Lemme try to find the thread.

Edit: Ok, its this one but this poster doesn't have as serious a problem as you, but if you read the article the worst case scenario is an unbootable mac. The article is the unsanity.org one somewhere halfway down the page. Good Luck.

5. notsofatjames thread starter macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I would have type Killall Dock. I have this obsession with capital letters where they should be. Ive tried safe mode. At the time i dont think i was running any processes. If I was it would only have been Safari and Mail. Havent used any installers in a long time. Good luck in finding the thread. Thanks.

ive read online to try to use stock apple ram, so im gonna find my ram, along with my disk and try that later.

6. notsofatjames thread starter macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

That article was a good read, but it didn't solve my problem :( But thanks for trying!!

7. notsofatjames thread starter macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I have tried using my stock Apple RAM. I cant find my boot disc anywhere! Do you think its something I can fix. Please help me mac rumors!!

8. notsofatjames thread starter macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

ive tried

fsck_hfs -r -y -f /dev/rdisk0s2

from another post with someone having boot difficulties. That said it fixed something in my file system, but it still didnt help me boot, and i still get the same error messages. The repair was on Volume Bitmap: Invalid volume free block count. Or something along those lines. It Flashed past quickly!
    After it finished, the prompt says "localhost:/ root# <DATE TIME> launchd: Bug: launchd.c:492:30: chown(ourdir, getuid(), getgid()) != -1" instead of just "Localhost:/ root#"
    Maybe this can help someone solve my mystery problem.

I cant find my OS X disk anywhere, but i found an XP disc, which booted fine, but i didnt want to install it.
    Out of curiosity, where do you stand if you've lost your disk. Since every mac comes with OS X can you get a new one just for shipping and handling.

9. jojojojojo macrumors newbie

Me 2

Hay guys. I have a problem almost identicle to he ones posted.
    I have a powerbook g4 (silver). I got it off a friend without the start up disks

The laptop doesnt go past the grey apple with the loading sign beneath. This problem only occured after he fiddled with some commands in single user mode.

i attempted to follow some instructions from a variety of forums but every time i press c during after the beep it tells me "unable to find driver for this platform "powerbook5, 6"......no debugger configureed.....Panic we are hanging here"

when i press optn-cmnd-s.
    all of the normal stuf happens but its similer to notsofatjames in that it says

"jnl: journal start/end pointers reset! (jnl 0x3a1fe60; s 0x770800 e 0x770800)
    CSRHIDTransitionDriver : probe -s
    IOBluetoothHCIController : probe booting in single user .. do not match
    Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
    Root Device is mounted read-only

If you want to make modifications to files:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish to boot the system but stay in single user mode:

sh /etc/rc

When i do sh /etc/rc it scrolls down aloud of stuf mostly repeating "ehci Root hub Simulation: MAtch catagory IODefaultMatchCatagory exists" Then finally says "initcardwith stored Prefs failed, IOResources:Match catagory GvEthCdcN exists, workaround bonjour: Unknown error: 0"

i have mac 10.4 on cd although the powerbook is runnin 10.3.

Please help me. Can i politly ask my laptop to reboot to factory settings sumhow then i will jus put 10.4 onto it or is this a simplistic view of it all?

JJ:rolleyes:

10. jojojojojo macrumors newbie