My MacBook won't stop freezing. Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VixenFloral, May 29, 2012.

1. VixenFloral macrumors newbie

Ever since this morning, my MacBook has been continuously freezing. It gets the multi-colored wheel and either takes a while to unfreeze just to freeze up again or it doesn't unfreeze at all and I need to shut it off.

It does this whether I'm trying to get on the Internet, or TextEdit, or anything at all.

I honestly have no idea what to do. I've tried a few things to clear some space but it didn't make any difference. Can someone please help me out?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A couple of things to try. A Pram re set can often help

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

If that fails to correct the issue, try emptying your Safari cache. Then if that also comes up with no improvement, try a permissions repair and disk verification from disk utility.

You might have a failing HDDs, or bad memory sticks.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the whole Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

4. VixenFloral thread starter macrumors newbie

I reset the Pram and so far, my Mac has been working. I'm still a little suspicious because it did this before and then started freezing again, but hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Thank you very much!

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Fingers crossed!

6. VixenFloral thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, bad news; my Mac started freezing up again, although it doesn't happen as quickly as it did before. I haven't tried the permissions repair and disk verification yet so maybe that could work. Would you be able to tell me where I can find the disk utility? I can't seem to locate it (at least before my laptop starts freezing up again).

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's in your /Applications/Utilities folder. Or just press Command-Shift and type "Disk Utility" in the Spotlight window in the upper right corner of your screen to locate the app.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's starting to sound like a bad or dying HDDS, or bad memory. If the repair won't fix the issue, a clean install of lion ( backup everything first) would be your last port of call before taking it in to Apple.