My macbookpro crashed when installing Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TPalma, Dec 12, 2007.

1. TPalma macrumors newbie

TPalma

Well, here's the thing. I have a minimac and a 17 inch macbookpro. Earlier this week, I bought a original Leopard and decided to update both my machines. Up until now I've had 2 basic problems.

1 - When I inserted the disc in my minimac, it wouldn't mount. I waited and waited and nothing happened. I then restarted it and nothing would show up. So I did a few maneuvers such as "restart and clicking the mouse" and nothing. I followed some other instructions and nothing.

I then entered the System Profiler and checked the ATA (where my cd/dvd drive should be), to get a message " there are no devices... bla bla bla".

Luckly I left the computer pissed and when I got home later, my brother had gotten it out after he turned it on some point of the day.

So then, I gave up on the minimac and went on to my macbook.

2 - I inserted the disc, it mounted and everything started to work nicely. That is until after the "consistency check" of the disc, the installation failed.
    It encountered some "unknown error" and advised me to restart the computer and try again. As soon as I got up to the "choose your disk", my HD had a exclamation mark (yellow). It said there was some problem with the HD and if I wanted to insist on installing it there the disk would be formatted first, either that or give up and restart using the startup disc. Obviously, I gave up. But as soon as I restarted the computer it would load the gray screen with the apple, "think" for a while and shut down.

I haven't gotten any progress. Please help me.

Thanks.

2. TPalma thread starter macrumors newbie

TPalma

Problem solved! (I think...)

Well, happily I'm on my macbookpro answering this and using it normally. I haven't tried installing Leopard again, but something tells me it the DVD is fine. It seems that there was some "node structure" problem on my HD. Fortunately the disk is repaired, and as soon as I can stop to this whole operation again I'll install Leopard and see what happens.

3. dndfr3k macrumors newbie

hey

my computer crashed 3 times because of leopard. i regret installing it. but installing leopard always worked for me. good luck:)

4. rhyndu macrumors regular

It sounds like your disk is messed up. Take it to an Apple Store if there is one by you and ask them to "verify it" for you. If it is messed up, insist you didn't do anything and ask for a new one... they will give it to you :)

Sorry for your troubles! I can feel your pain as I had the same problem on my 70-year-old mother's iMac! ("I thought you said that Macs were supposed to work BETTER than my 10-year-old Windows 98 machine!")

5. TPalma thread starter macrumors newbie

TPalma

A friend of mine (an Apple technician) passed a DiskWarrior and it seems that the error was fixed. I verified it with the Disk Utility and nothing showed up.
    I live in Brazil, so there's no :apple: Apple Store close by.... But anyways, I intend on formatting it soon. I just want to wait to when I won't have anything important to do on it. Thanks for the response, thought!! :)