My Macbook's CPU is always hot!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Xtremekillr, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Xtremekillr macrumors member

Okay last night my macbook's cpu's temperature kept shooting up.. I even ran smcfancontrol but it still was around 150 F. So I decided maybe I just have to let it cool off. I leave it in the living room where its super cold. I turn it out and CPU starts off at 100 F and quickly shoots up to 150 F again!!!. Why is this happening?!?!?

Please Help.

2. maclawlz macrumors newbie

Check Activity Monitor to see what's using up the CPU so much. Then put your MB in the freezer to cool off:)

3. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Is it actually having an effect on the computer or are they noticable performance changes or something?

4. Xtremekillr thread starter macrumors member

Well the fan is always on.. I checked the CPU usage it saids user 52% but I added the % from programs that are on... Why is it still 52%.. when I added the CPU % from all the program that is.. and its only 7%!!!

Please Help!!

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Doesn't seem that hot to me. I got a macbook here (2.2 SR) and my temp is sitting at 124* F right now. Fan speed around 1750 rpm. All I have going is safari open.

Not unusual for me to see temps rise as high as 198* F with the fan at full speed (~6200 rpm) when running idvd or imovie or any other cpu intensive program.

Doesn't worry me one bit.

6. S600MBUSA macrumors regular

I don't think that the temps are too far out of line, but I do like to keep my MB Pro cooler (although I understand that the dynamics of the cooling and case design are pretty different between the MB Pro and the MB).

Are you just getting that temp from one program? If so, see if another temp monitoring program gives you different numbers.

Assuming there isn't some faulty temperature probe or software problem, I don't really know what to tell you if even ramping up the fan RPMs isn't keeping it cooler. You could try one of those laptop coolers, but I don't have any experience with them other than the Rain Design iLap, which uses passive cooling. It would be optimal to keep the MB on a flat, level surface with plenty of room around the ventilation outlets.

7. Xtremekillr thread starter macrumors member

I'm getting temp from 2 programs smcfancontrol and istat pro. Both give out the same numbers. I'm just worried because it just started doing this. The weather has not changed either. If this keeps up I think I'll pay a visit to the Apple Store. I think that's what I should do.

8. Xtremekillr thread starter macrumors member

Problem solved!! I had a printing process that was still printing.. I cancelled it and its all good now!!