My Macbooks logik board died: should I replace it, or wait for new Macbook model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Snowmanz, Aug 20, 2008.

  1. Snowmanz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2008
    #1
    I am writing to you on my mac pro, so not having the laptop isn't a big deal past the point of my tower can't travel with me around the house and sit in front of the TV in the living room or in bed when I am relaxing.

    Unfortunately the logic board on my Macbook 2.0 has died on me, confirmed by replacing battery and charger from a friends Macbook. I don't want to pay 400 bucks for a logic board when there could possibly be a new model coming out in a few short weeks. There is still no confirmation on if this rumor is even true though.

    I am not generally an early adopter as some of the people on this forum may be. I prefer to buy used gear to save money, but if the rumors about their new models are true, I may buy a new model right off the bat.

    My question to you is the same as in the title, should I fix a 400 dollar problem to have a working laptop, or should I wait 1 month and see if the new Macbooks are worth it? Money is not an issue btw.

    ****update****
    1 thing I forgot to mention
    two days after I found my laptop would not turn on, I freakin dropped my ipod from waist level on to a concrete floor at work. I was really tired and groggy, I work at 4 am, and I fumbled it out of my hand and cracked it's screen. new screen= 40 bucks.

    New Ipod?
    Thanks for any help.
    Thanks for any help.
     
  2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

    Vulcan

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #2
    If money isn't a problem, you answered your own question. If you don't need a MacBook right this moment, then wait a month and see what the revision looks like.
     
  3. Snowmanz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2008
    #3
    I also stated that I like to buy used gear to save money. Buying a $1200 plus laptop wont exactly break the bank, but it isn't exactly something I would just do on a whim.

    I am really up in the air right now, and that is why I posted this question.

    I also want to upgrade my iPod after my stupid mistake earlier this week.

    Thanks for your help.
     
  4. dejo Moderator

    dejo

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Centennial State
    #4
    I'm confused. :confused:
     
  5. techound1 macrumors 68000

    techound1

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
    #5
    Because one likes to save money doesn't mean one is short of money.
     
  6. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #6
    Totally true.
     
  7. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

    Phatpat

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2003
    Location:
    Cambridge, MA
    #7
    I'd say repair it. If you don't need to upgrade now, might as well just work with what you have and spend $1200 a little ways down the road, when bigger improvements are out there. Sounds like you aren't in pressing need of more power than what you have.
     
  8. windowpain macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2008
    Location:
    Japan
    #8
    Problem solved. just wait, you don't need one. Buy one now and you'll be kicking yourself for not waiting.
    If the new models don't do it for you, then repair your older one.
     
  9. macwall macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Location:
    Cupertino, CA
    #9
    wait till september. what do you have to lose?
     

Share This Page