My MacBook's screen doesn't line up when closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sorchard, Dec 29, 2007.

1. sorchard macrumors regular

Hi,

recently got an SR 2.2ghz MacBook and it's pretty good.

However, one thing that really bugs me is that when closed, the screen doesn't completely line up with the bottom case, the bottom case sticks out a few millimetres on one side, but not quite so bad on the other.

Is there anything I can do about it, without sending it in for service as it's not really a major issue - just slightly irritating.

Also, when shut, the hinge seems a bit loose, the screen will move a few millimetres if i push it. Also quite annoying and disconcerting. Is this normal?

Thanks

2. max1018 macrumors member

max1018

I've just had a look at my Mid-2007 MacBook, and mine appears fine. I haven't heard of it from anyone else either. Also, my screen hinge appears solid.

If it really bugs you, I suggest taking it to an Apple store etc. It could just be as simple as a loose screw.

Max

3. sorchard thread starter macrumors regular

The odd thing is that when open, it doesn't seem loose. Just when closed.

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Sounds like a MBP issue but the MB is made of plastic so does not bend or dent like aluminum. Perhaps you could take a photo of your MB and post it here.

5. sorchard thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't upload a picture before because I didn't have a decent camera to hand, so this picture was taken on my phone - it's still quite clear where the case and screen are though.

[​IMG]

6. soms macrumors 6502

soms

My MBP doesn't close all the way on the right side, theres like a 1/8-1/4 inch gap :(

7. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Same here, I noticed that last night. Is this something i should worry about?

8. sorchard thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not too sure, that's why I started this thread. At least I'm not the only one with this problem though.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't think it's anything to worry about. With such thin notebooks, absolute precision is near impossible.

As for the "loose" problem, when you push on it, you have to remember that the macbook has no clasp to hold the lid in place; it's all magnetic. Magnets are sturdy, but they will budge if you push on them. Is this what you're experiencing?

10. sorchard thread starter macrumors regular

This is when I'm pushing the lid horizontally, not vertically (not pushing down on it). So surely that's a hinge issue?

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I suspected as much you were pushing horizontally.

I think that pretty much cinches it as a magnet vs clasp issue. The magnets are capable of slight movement, and there is a little "wiggle room" built in, so when you push horizontally, the lid moves slightly. As long as it isn't a dramatic shift (anything more than 3-4 mm) I wouldn't be worried about it.

12. sorchard thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm.... I'll just bear with it. Thanks.

But is there any fix for the screen being out of alignment with the case, though? Or would it need to go back to Apple (which I won't bother with) as it's a little irritating.

13. rnwhitworth macrumors newbie

I have been wondering about the same thing. I got my macbook in December 2007, and I have just let it go because of the magnetic latches. If anyone has any definite word on this I would like to know if its something to worry about.

Thanks!

14. TSE macrumors 68030

I've had two MacBooks, one first generation and the latest one, and both of them had this problem, and it bothered me at first, so I spoke to a genius and he said it's within spec. I didn't bother again because I just learned to live with it, because it isn't that big of a deal.

15. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I hate hearing about declining QC, I'm hoping it's just the vocal minority.

16. sorchard thread starter macrumors regular

I had to get that macbook replaced (other issues), and the new one doesnt line up perfectly but its a lot better.

I also find my headphone jack a little loose after plenty of use. hmmph.

17. sanford macrumors 65816

I have the very first MacBook model, bought because I could no longer justify a MacBook Pro, formerly PowerBook, on better features and performance, although those are what I owned for years. Same deal with the lid for me. But metal Mac laptops, the titanium PowerBook G4s, especially the aluminum PowerBook G4s, never lined up flush, and also kind of warped up at one edge, the other, or both, so I was used to it and just wrote it off -- Apple considered it within design specification. Used the MacBook normally a month or so, opening and closing the lid as anyone would during the course of the days, noticed one day it perfectly lined up. Same thing happened with my friend's MacBook of the next revision. Apparently the plastic-cased MacBooks "wear in" to alignment, whereas the metal PowerBooks never will.