My Mac's Country Code is Wrong [WiFi Issues]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaded-mandarin, Aug 31, 2016.

1. jaded-mandarin, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016

jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

[​IMG] My work MacBook has an absolute nightmare with my home WiFi – I get about a minute's internet and then it's out for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat. This is constant, I've had the machine since April and whenever I bring it home this happens.

I ran Wireless Diagnostics and it says there are conflicting country codes between my machine and routers. The problem is, it's my Mac which has the wrong country code (DE), and the routers have the correct (GB) one.

Will this affect my WiFi performance? All other devices connect without problems. Can I change my country code on my Mac?

Any help appreciated. It's driving me mad. I can't get anything done on it.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Hmm…
    Do you have any idea why your Mac would be set for Germany?
    Do you travel to other countries, and have changed text settings to another language, or anything similar to that?

Go to your Date & Time pref pane, then the Time Zone tab.
    Check the box "Set time zone automatically using your current location"
    Is the Date & Time also set to "Set Date and Time automatically"?
    Make sure that Region is set to your region (United Kingdom is correct?)
    Finally, Restart your Mac.

That should be all you need to do.

3. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

All checked correctly.

Never used it out of the country, and as far as I'm aware it's not a refurb.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    That's more for problem routers, whereas it's my actual Mac that's got the wrong country code.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I think there may be a way to edit a configuration file via terminal to change the Mac's wifi country code. Perhaps someone here can come up with the correct way for your particular situation.

The easy workaround would be to buy a USB wifi dongle that's configured properly.

5. JohnDS macrumors 65816

I don't think you read the article I posted all the way through. Among other things, it said:

Some routers broadcast country codes using the 802.11d standard. This informs nearby Wi-Fi-enabled devices — like your MacBook — which country they’re in and which Wi-Fi settings they should use. For example, in our example below, we have a nearby rogue router with a TW country code, which conflicts with other routers and their US country codes.

This can confuse your Mac. When it wakes up, it scans for nearby Wi-Fi networks and the country code information tells the Mac which Wi-Fi settings it should use for this area. It appears that the Mac uses the country code from the first network it finds broadcasting this information. If you’re in one country and there’s a router with another country’s code nearby, your Mac may think your’e in that country, use those Wi-Fi settings, and have problems connecting to wireless networks using the proper settings for the country you’re actually in.
    In other words, the reason your Mac is showing a wrong country code is that it is picking that information up from a nearby router. The article goes on to suggest how to find the rogue router and how to deal with the problem.

6. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

I've used macs from different countries (bought in México, Spain and USA; all manufactured in China) with different routers in several countries (Netherlands, Germany, Spain, France, México and Italy). I've never had any problem connecting to the router. From what I understand, it is not your mac that is at fault here, but a router you are connecting to. You should change the router.

7. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

I connect through USB to ethernet at work.

I've pulled the cable out and tried to use the WiFi – and I get pretty much the same result. It definitely seems a problem with the WiFi on this Mac.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    All the routers my Mac pics up have their code as GB. (See top post).

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Then, the router assumes that your country code is set incorrectly.
    Change that. I don't know exactly what setting it might be, but you should be able to track what actually shows as a setting for DE (Germany)
    I would start by creating a new Location (in your Networks pref pane), and setting that new location as your primary Location. You would set up your wifi connection as new when you do that, and that may take care of your problem.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Here's a good article that I found.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/211993/how-to-fix-conflicting-country-codes-and-improve-your-macs-wi-fi/
    (and it's one that you have already looked at)

Long story short - your Mac does not change your country code on its own.
    It's a function of the router.
    Apparently, it's the first router that uses channel 1-11

Maybe you can try a scan. It's in the Window menu when you run the wireless diagnostics.
    It will list all the routers that your Mac can "see", and country codes will be listed.
    Is one of those routers showing country code "DE"?

10. KALLT macrumors 601

That’s not what the image shows. It just lists the networks that are now incompatible. There may be a device somewhere that broadcasts a German country code. You need to find this device, or make sure that your Mac is booted where only these routers with British country codes are.

11. JohnDS macrumors 65816

I agree with KALLT. The screenshot of the diagnostic you posted only shows the routers that are incompatible with your Mac's DE country code. It will not show any that ARE compatible with the DE country code and it will be one of those that is causing the problem. What you need to do is to follow the instructions in the article I linked to which reads as follows:

To determine whether there are conflicting country codes in an area on your Mac, hold the Option key, click the Wi-Fi icon on the top bar, and select “Open Wireless Diagnostics.” Go through the wizard, which will scan your area and alert you to things you can do to improve your Wi-Fi.

At the end of the process, you’ll see “Conflicting Country Codes” in the summary. This indicates there are wireless routers with two different country codes nearby. Either there’s a misconfigured router, or you’re almost exactly on the border between two different countries!​