my macs gone nuts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gelatin, Apr 15, 2009.

1. gelatin macrumors 6502

ok ibook g4 from 04 or 05 i think
    plugged in a sony erricsson phone thru usb which is normally fine but tody it came up with a black screen and this repeating scrolling text
    :eek:
    no way to stop it so i just turned off the mac and restarted.
    now the airport wont connect to my wireless network
    [​IMG]

2. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

Did you have your phone plugged in when you went to start it up. Maybe it was trying to boot off of the phone???

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'm sorry, what...?

gelatin open disk utility and run disk permission repair on your main drive, I was going suggest maybe the usb sparked and it short circuited, but that would make it freeze, this looks like some kind of strange kernal panic...

To fix your wireless issue (possibly), go into System Preferences > Network > (Select airport) Advanced > select your network in the list, press the "-" button to remove it, then try connecting to it again, the settings could've become corrupt.

4. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

nah the computer was already on. i only restarted once that screen came up cos i had no other way to stop it

wireless issue, cant seem to find the list to remove the network

its all sorted now.
    thanks guys.

still dunno what the hell caused that screen cause weve tried plugging the phone in again and tis fine

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

have you been sniffing something?

facepalm of the century, what next? booting from the MightyMouse?

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Are you running 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard?

7. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

It's not a far stretch of the imagination for a computer to recognize an external USB device (such as a phone or flash drive) as a bootable disk. I'm not saying it'll actually load up an OS, but if the computer tried, you might get a funky looking screen like he posted up.

For example, when I plug my iPhone into my work's computer via USB to charge it, it recognizes it as a USB scanner, opens up the Command line prompt for some reason, it runs through some text, then crashes out the command prompt with an error message. So no, I don't believe my question was "too" far out there. Out there, yes......but not impossible.

8. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

its sorted now. but it was 10.4 tiger

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Well for a start, PPC Macs can't boot off of USB drives anyway :p

gelatin, glad to hear everything's back to normal

10. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

haha me too, i thought my mac was dead.
    looked like those screens where youre getting hacked in a movie

11. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

Didn't know that. I've only owned Intel-based Mac's (and even then, I'm not sure if those could boot off of USB devices). I was pretty much just throwing it out as the "farthest-out-there" scenerio......as those type of scenerios are ususally the ones that plague me.

12. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The Intel Macs can. I've seen the guys at the Apple store boot off an iPod Nano to run their battery test on a MacBook, which I thought was pretty cool.

This would be more likely to happen with a PC, it trying to boot up from anything that's plugged in other than the HDD. While not entirely likely here, you are right as it is possible. Anything is when it comes to troubleshooting computers from, "well, you have to plug it in to turn it on", to, "an extraordinarily large solar flare aimed towards my town cause electromagnetic waves to reverse the polarity of my LHC which then formed a blackhole that ripped off the faceplate on my computer just as a gnat flew in and shorted out my power supply." (I was going somewhere logical at first, honest, but then I spiraled out of control).

I've seen it. For reals :D