My mac's internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gamesforu98, Oct 3, 2013.

1. gamesforu98 macrumors newbie

In our house we have recently upgraded our internet to EE and have got a new router that produces a N signal We have 2 Mac's that could use it a Macbook Air 2013 edition and a Macbook Pro that is a few years old, However the macbook pro's email accounts keep going offline and wont come back online even though airport is still saying it has a connection. I was wondering if there was any way I could revert my mac book pro to use a G connection instead of a N connection.

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

That's not on the Mac side, that's on the router side. If the router isn't set to utilize a "mixed mode" you won't get a G signal if it's set to N only.

3. gamesforu98 thread starter macrumors newbie

is there any way i can set the mac to pick up G or will it pick up G anyway if it is being broadcasted as well as the N or will the router only broadcast one at a time

----------

and when i connected it to the ethernet the emails in my outbox just sent does anyone know why this is

4. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Im also on EE broadband (used to be on orange before) anyway in my opinion if you everything to work the way it should, throw out that ee router (or keep it like a spare like I do) my 2007 draft N Netgear router out performs it by miles on ethernet, wifi speed and coverage. EE say it's worth £90 but the Netgear cost me £99 in 2007 and its still going strong.

To answer your second question the mac or pc will use whatever the router is broadcasting, providing its wirless card supports that signal, mixed mode will normally slow it right down, but in mixed mode it would broadcast both B and G as it has dual antennas.