My Macs won't recognize my card reader anymore

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mikebatho, Jun 6, 2011.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Just taken a couple of photos on my camera, removed the card, placed it in my card reader, plugged the reader into my USB port on my desktop mac....

....nothing. The little blue light on the reader flashes, but the card doesn't mount.

So I've now just tried it on my macbook and it doesn't see it there either.

Is there anyway I can force it to mount? Any software out there that will identify external hardware?

Thanks.

2. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, have a development.

it's now mounted, sort of. the folder appears, but it won't let me access the images. I'm getting the folders shown in the attached image.

When I open iTunes, it sees the folder, but says there are no images to upload. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

3. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Why not use a USB cable to transfer the images, then reformat the card?

4. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

it is connected via USB cable. The reader has a USB lead coming off it

5. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I think atlanticza meant that you could connect your camera to the mac with a USB cable and download the photos directly from the camera. Then, when you've got your pictures safe, try reformatting the card.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

You write that you insert the card, and then attach the reader to the system. Try it the other way round. Plug the empty reader into the USB port, wait 2 secs, and then insert the card into the reader.

Your photos are probably in the DCIM folder.

With one of my cameras I need to format the card in the camera for the camera to recognize the empty space. That is - if I put 2 GB of photos on a 4 GB card, and only delete them in OS X - then the camera only sees the remaining 2 GB of space, and not the full 4 GB until I format in the camera.

Once you get your connection issue sorted, check to see how much space the camera sees on the card.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no probably to it. The photographs are in the DCIM folder. I was baffled by the OP's claim that his card reader was not working because the screenshot in Post No. 2 is unimpeachable proof that his card reader is working. The OP just needs to associate the mounted card with iPhoto.

8. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

The pictures used to be in the DCIM folder, but it's showing as empty now.

Can't see any way of connecting the camera directly to my mac via a USB lead. Attached is an image of the available sockets....

Attached Files:

9. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hang on, if you read my original message, the card WASN'T mounting at all.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

What's that phrase we see here so often "Pics, or it didn't happen." I know the photos are supposed to be in the DCIM folder, but until we saw them there was the chance they were MIA. And if they were there, then we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. So I used a term that left the door open ....

I would have thought that the camera would have come with a cable to attach the camera directly to the computer. One end would fit the slot-like port on the camera and the other would have a standard USB plug. It's also possible there is another plug opening on the camera, and very small one. My old Kodak had a mini-USB plug on the camera, as well as a bottom slot-like port that attached to a proprietary docking station.

Your best best is to either plug the camera model name into Google and find the owners manual on line, or to take it to a shop that can sell you the cable.

Good Luck

11. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woohoo! Now it's gone back to not seeing the damned thing at all!!

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Have you tried plugging in the reader, and then inserting the card? Have you tried the reader on a different USB port? Have you tried plugging in the reader into a different system?

13. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

What card reader are you using? I have read of problems with some of the low cost multi-card reading systems on the Mac. I replaced my multi card reader with a $20 item from Hoodman. It's SD only and works fine.

Try a restart with both the reader and card plugged in to your system.

Dale