My MagSafe and Battery issues.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hey guys,

Basically last week I noticed that the LED on my magsafe adapter (I have a later 2006 MBP with core-2-duo) was sometimes fading even while it was charging.

I continued to use it until it broke, it caused the computer to overheat and eventually smoke was coming out. I quickly took out the plug and the computer ran fine on battery power.

Now I because the magsafe I had was in a recall I was given a new one for free.

I got home the other day with my new Magsafe (i'm only just at my computer now as I've been away a few days) and when I plug it in the LED DOESN'T LIGHT, but the little icon up in the menu bar shows that the thing is connected and giving power.

However, the battery says "Battery is not charging".

Can anyone tell me what this could be? The LED on the magsafe isn't lit, the Battery isn't charging, but I'm still getting power to run the machine fine.

Is it normal for the LED not to be lit?

Thanks a lot.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
I've been through that (that is how I actually got the new MagSafe from the Apple store).

It doesn't cover my problem or how to fix it.

My problem is actually covered here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/20876.html

But all it says is:

Apple said:
If the battery status menu says “Not Charging,” your Mac computer is connected to a power source that gives it enough power to run, but not enough power to charge the battery. For example, your Mac might not charge when it’s connected to an airline power adapter.

You can still use your Mac without draining its battery, but the battery will not be charged, even if you turn off your Mac or put it to sleep.
Not exactly helpful as it doesn't tell me how to fix the problem :D:D

That's why I came here - anyone with similar experience?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've been through that (that is how I actually got the new MagSafe from the Apple store).

It doesn't cover my problem or how to fix it.
Actually, it does, if you take the time to read it:
8. See if the computer is charging and the LED is lit.
After following the steps above see if the computer is charging and the LED is lit. If not, please refer to the Additional Information section of this article.

Additional Information
Whether your product is in or out-of-warranty, you can take your adapter to an Apple-Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and replacement if necessary. You may be eligible for a replacement adapter free of charge provided there are no signs of accidental damage.
Even though you just got it, a trip back to the store to have it checked is your solution.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Another trip :( You think it could be another faulty Mag Safe?

Before I went to Apple for my new magsafe it was doing that but now it's not charging, merely allowing power (as described in the last link I gave).

I'm on a new MagSafe so I'm assuming that the problem is software, or maybe the battery so if someone has had this problem I'd be really grateful if they could tell me how to make the battery charge.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm on a new MagSafe so I'm assuming that the problem is software, or maybe the battery so if someone has had this problem I'd be really grateful if they could tell me how to make the battery charge.
No, there's no software solution to a charging problem, which is hardware. You can't force a battery to charge if there's a problem with the power supply or the battery. I'd take it back and have them test it and make sure you don't leave until they show a MagSafe properly working with your MBP.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
No, there's no software solution to a charging problem, which is hardware. You can't force a battery to charge if there's a problem with the power supply or the battery. I'd take it back and have them test it and make sure you don't leave until they show a MagSafe properly working with your MBP.
My computer is 4 years out of warranty though so I don't think they will even touch my computer. :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My computer is 4 years out of warranty though so I don't think they will even touch my computer. :(
How long ago did you get the MagSafe replaced? If it was recently, they should replace it again, if it's defective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.