My MagSafe and Battery issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soundburst, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Basically last week I noticed that the LED on my magsafe adapter (I have a later 2006 MBP with core-2-duo) was sometimes fading even while it was charging.

I continued to use it until it broke, it caused the computer to overheat and eventually smoke was coming out. I quickly took out the plug and the computer ran fine on battery power.

Now I because the magsafe I had was in a recall I was given a new one for free.

I got home the other day with my new Magsafe (i'm only just at my computer now as I've been away a few days) and when I plug it in the LED DOESN'T LIGHT, but the little icon up in the menu bar shows that the thing is connected and giving power.

However, the battery says "Battery is not charging".

Can anyone tell me what this could be? The LED on the magsafe isn't lit, the Battery isn't charging, but I'm still getting power to run the machine fine.

Is it normal for the LED not to be lit?

Thanks a lot.

2. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been through that (that is how I actually got the new MagSafe from the Apple store).

It doesn't cover my problem or how to fix it.

My problem is actually covered here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/20876.html

But all it says is:

Not exactly helpful as it doesn't tell me how to fix the problem :D:D

That's why I came here - anyone with similar experience?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it does, if you take the time to read it:
    Even though you just got it, a trip back to the store to have it checked is your solution.

4. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another trip :( You think it could be another faulty Mag Safe?

Before I went to Apple for my new magsafe it was doing that but now it's not charging, merely allowing power (as described in the last link I gave).

I'm on a new MagSafe so I'm assuming that the problem is software, or maybe the battery so if someone has had this problem I'd be really grateful if they could tell me how to make the battery charge.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, there's no software solution to a charging problem, which is hardware. You can't force a battery to charge if there's a problem with the power supply or the battery. I'd take it back and have them test it and make sure you don't leave until they show a MagSafe properly working with your MBP.

6. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

My computer is 4 years out of warranty though so I don't think they will even touch my computer. :(

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How long ago did you get the MagSafe replaced? If it was recently, they should replace it again, if it's defective.