My MB doesnt want to connect to my university wireless network -conection timeout.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cudo, Mar 27, 2009.

1. cudo macrumors regular

Hi, i have been using my macbook conected to the university network while at uni happily until yesterday evening in the library :D it just dropped connection and never connected again. my airport detects the network and when i try to connect it asks my for pass and id which i input and then it just times out. when im back home everything is fine and airport connects to my home network with no probs. same about my mates house. i asked uni tech support but cos its friday today and everybody is off to pub there was no one who could help me with mac as my uni is mainly xp run :D

any idea as what maybe the cause ? and how to solve it ?

greets from university of plymuth, devon, UK :apple:

2. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

My iBook does this sometimes. Perfect signal, all happy happy then suddenly nothing. It rarely just dies when I'm on it, most often I'll go to class, go back to the exact same spot an hour later and despite having full wifi signal (and being surrounded by people online) it just won't connect.

Never been to the help desk 'cause it usually happens when I don't really have alot of time. My quick fix just now is to take the laptop across the library/out into the corridor until I can log in then go back to where I was sitting where, oddly, it'll stay online. I'd love to know what's up with it though :confused: It's only a recent thing . . .

3. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

happened to me for the 1st time ..and believe me i walked like 5 miles all around the campus today with my mb trying to 'catch' the signal and no luck. in the matter of fact tech support is in different building so i really had to walk some distance and no luck here either. as u said there are people all around me surfing the interent using macs .. well i will have a go with my tech support on monday again as some mac-genius is supposed to be there.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Do you know whether the network is secured by a WEP or WPA/WPA2 passphrase? Perhaps this may help?

5. MacDuck macrumors member

You may also have to register the MAC address of your macbook with the IT desk.

My old graduate school university (IU-Bloomington) had me do this. Without registering I could not access the campus network, even with my username and password.