My MBA wobbles on a flat surface... What should I do??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by eggersj, Apr 28, 2008.

1. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Today I discovered that my MBA wobbles while on a perfectly flat surface. Has anyone had this problem? I bought it in early March. It is driving me nutz while typing!!! I keep it in pristine condition. It doesn't even have a scratch on it and is always in it's WaterField sleeve in my messenger bag....

Wobble wobble wobble... Should I take it back?

2. pgharavi macrumors regular

pgharavi

Take the bottom left end, and the top right end (of the keyboard) and flex it out.

Seriously. It works. I usually do this once a week. lol

3. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Is this a recent turn of events or did you just not notice it when you got it?

4. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Find a not-flat surface?

Honestly, flexing it is probably your best bet if you don't want to give it back to Apple for any length of time.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yeah. Gentle flexing does straighten it out - recently my Air has also started to wobble. I bent it slightly so that it wobbles a bit less. My oldest, just about to be replaced TZ - straight as a ruler.

6. eggersj thread starter macrumors 6502

eggersj

Def a recent event. Haven't had a problem until last night. I will try to flex it to straighten it out.

It was on a granite counter top when I first noticed it. Then I tried it on the kitchen table, and then the coffee table. All the same thing.

Thanks for the advice!!!

7. bartman-chinese macrumors member

bartman-chinese

Why would the thing flex? Would heat be a factor?

(Aside from the nasty dent I have no issues with mine)

8. aussieinrome macrumors regular

aussieinrome

Check the surface.

is the surface flat? i thought my mba wobbled until i discovered it was my office desk surface that was distorted...

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It doesn't so much flex as deform over time in everyday use.

The shell is aluminium. As I said in your thread, it's a 'dead' metal, not a springy one like steel. So once it's shape is changed, it has a habit of staying changed. The Air does have a thick shell - indeed, it's necessary since it effectively has no internal chassis - but it can deform.

For example, if like me you carry it in a non-rigid messenger bag most of the time than it is subject to mild flexing forces, which can over time deform a machine built like the Air (or the Macbook Pro). I doubt from the relative ease that I can bend the Air that the metal is treated in a way that optimises Aluminium's strengths. It's made for relative ease of manufacture - trading off weight, form and rigidity.