My MBA wont log onto my schools wifi

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Nioxic, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nioxic macrumors regular

Hey guys.. i've got a new mba 2011 etc. i updated lion + safari here a couple of weeks ago and ever since then i havnt been able to log onto my schools wifi.

At home, it automaitcally logs on my wifi, and it just works.

at my school, it usually logs on to the wifi automatically, and then whenever data is being transfered one way or the other, the browser opens up and i have to use my login i have been provided from the school.

Now however it just wont load up that login page, so its basically like being offline. :(

Other people in my class can log on np. They're all using windows PCs though

I've tried installing chrome browser to see if that helped, but no. it wont load the page still.

It worked fine up untill i installed the lion 1.7.2 update (that also updated safari) - thats why i'm asking here and not on my schools retarded IT department :p

what can i do?

2. Jest3r macrumors regular

Sounds like you're having the same issue as I am... Here's the work around I am currently using until I can figure out the issue:

Reboot it and hold down the option key... Select your wireless network and then select the recovery partition. At the menu, select the get help online option and try to log into your wireless from that Safari window. If it works, you can then restart your computer and use it normally.

Here's a link to my thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1268169

3. Bloodstar macrumors regular

Many thanks - this exact thing happens to me at my college as well. Very aggravating... though a relief to know it's not just my college's network being incredibly stupid. I'll let you know if it works.

I found a workaround of my own, though not as convenient - since I have Windows 7 installed in a VirtualBox VM, I ran that with a bridged network adapter to log in.

Of course, this method constricts you to the VM, but if you have no other choice... (well, other than bringing my old iBook with me, which I'd rather not do because that'd force me into using the college's machines for Xcode. Seriously, my G4s feel snappier than those things.)

4. Nioxic thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try this tomorrow! thank you! :)

I'll report back!

(it must be something apple can fix?)

5. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

Speak to the IT department..they probably know how to get macs working on the network as networks vary so much

I used to have to give my Mac a proxy server as my school used them (it was the same on the iPhone) to get the internet to work properly so that could be the issue. Whatever it is then your best option is to ask the IT managers (not your IT teachers - usually they have no clue!)

6. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

7. mobilemario macrumors member

I'm Having exactly the same problem! So frustrating:(
    I didn't contact the it support because I thought it's sth to do with my mac.

Works ok on my iphone and MBP with snow leoperd:confused:

8. CyrusKafaiWu macrumors member

I have a similar school wifi set up. I do get the error once a week or so. I just turn off the airport wireless on my mac and turn it back on. It seems to work again after 1-3 tries.

9. Bloodstar macrumors regular

Apparently (according to my college's IT department, at least) you'll have to disable OCSP and CRL in the Keychain Access application... and make sure network settings are automatic.

Of course, I'm not sure if these are both necessary... considering once I removed DNS servers and started using DHCP things started working. (Settings carried over from another network I use... which makes me wonder how it was working in the first place on yet another network.)

The Recovery HD workaround... kind of worked, except for the fact that it doesn't seem to carry over on my college's network for whatever reason.

10. tmagman macrumors 6502

My school is having the same problem it appears. The difference it seems is that they have ACKNOWLEDGED THE EXISTENCE OF THE PROBLEM publicly on their IT website. They actually released a special download with a network profile that you can install that seems to have fixed the problem 95% of the time.

11. Nioxic thread starter macrumors regular

i get NO errors at all

only "error" i get is that the page cannot be loaded, in both chrome and safari

it has worked previously ._.

going to school now, so i'll try this temporary fix :p

12. Nioxic thread starter macrumors regular

update:

it tried it at my school today, was completely unable to log on ;<

13. Nioxic thread starter macrumors regular

can you do a simple explanation on how to do this?

i'm a bit of a mac noob (only had it a couple of months )

14. Nioxic thread starter macrumors regular