Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pekpon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Hey ya people!

I'm here to ask about the performance of my MBP 13" 2011

Sometimes my laptop is slowly when I have some opened programs. For example:

Chrome and some opened pages, maybe 5.
Skype.
Sublime Text 2
Terminal with 4 active process.
Spotify
Finder

These are the always opened programs in my MBP for my job.

This is my MBP:
MacBook Pro 13-inch, Early 2011
Procesador: 2.3 GHz Core i5
Ram: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
SO: OSX 10.9 Maverick

I'm asking about if this laptop can with all this programs without problems or its normal that sometimes responds slowly. I haven't make cleaning or nothing because I don't know how can I do it.

I installed Photoshop CS6 and the laptop its very slow. He spend a lot of time to start the application and one time opened, the program goes slow.

I'm using the laptop 10 hours a day and when I go to shutdown it, directly I down the screen and the mac its in sleep mode. Every night.

Is this normal? Thanks a lot for your help!!!!

phination

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Hey ya people!

I'm here to ask about the performance of my MBP 13" 2011

Sometimes my laptop is slowly when I have some opened programs. For example:

Chrome and some opened pages, maybe 5.
Skype.
Sublime Text 2
Terminal with 4 active process.
Spotify
Finder

These are the always opened programs in my MBP for my job.

This is my MBP:
MacBook Pro 13-inch, Early 2011
Procesador: 2.3 GHz Core i5
Ram: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
SO: OSX 10.9 Maverick

I'm asking about if this laptop can with all this programs without problems or its normal that sometimes responds slowly. I haven't make cleaning or nothing because I don't know how can I do it.

I installed Photoshop CS6 and the laptop its very slow. He spend a lot of time to start the application and one time opened, the program goes slow.

I'm using the laptop 10 hours a day and when I go to shutdown it, directly I down the screen and the mac its in sleep mode. Every night.

Is this normal? Thanks a lot for your help!!!!

I have the exact same laptop as you. I had some big performance issues in the past that sound very similar to yours. About a week ago I ordered 8GB of ram and a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo to put in my laptop. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It is insane how speedy it is. The ssd not only made booting extremely fast, but the entire system feels extremely smooth now. Programs open instantly, they close fast, and I haven't had any performance issues at all yet. If you don't need a ton of storage, I would definitely recommend trying out a solid state drive. I couldn't believe how much a difference it made.

I would also recommend to try doing a clean install of mavericks, especially if you upgraded to mavericks without doing a clean install.

Last edited:

Benk3350

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
That seems unusual for the specs you have. They are from from great, but you should be able to have all those apps up at the same time with no problem.

One of my macbooks, a mid 2009 2.26 dual core with 4gb RAM can do all that you listed and more with no issues. It is on snow leopard, I don't know if that makes a difference.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Do yourself a favor and bump that RAM up to 8 or 12GB's of memory total. You'll be very pleased. My old 13" with a Core 2 Duo was like night and day when I went from 4GB RAM to 6GB and then eventually 8GB RAM with an SSD. SSD is really going to make a obvious benefit but RAM will make multitasking smoother.

Darthmnkyrpm

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Do yourself a favor and bump that RAM up to 8 or 12GB's of memory total. You'll be very pleased. My old 13" with a Core 2 Duo was like night and day when I went from 4GB RAM to 6GB and then eventually 8GB RAM with an SSD. SSD is really going to make a obvious benefit but RAM will make multitasking smoother.

I would agree with nateo here.
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/MacOS.aspx
Go to this website and download the scanner. It will tell you how much RAM your computer has and then take you to where you can buy it on the site. It's really easy to install and there are YouTube videos everywhere on it. When I went from 8gb to 16gb, my goodness my computer was zipping along. Also you should check to see how much free space you have. If you have over half of your hard drive filled up, I can guarantee that your computer is not running at the maximum potential that it could. If that's the case, I would recommend trying out the program Disk Inventory X. It scans your hard drive and then you can go through and determine what files you don't need. I ended up actually clearing around 200+ Gbs of information that I didn't need. The other thing that may help is making sure you shut your computer off sometimes. If you never shut it off, it doesn't have time to rest. Plus, when you turn it back on, it will reset your ram so it can properly allocate it to the programs that need it. Hope this helps.

pekpon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
thanks people!

I will look to add more memory and a SSD Disk. I'm running now the Disk Inventory App, and I will shutdown correctly my MBP sometimes.

:D thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.