My MBP 13' feels slow...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thinkbig12, Apr 28, 2010.

1. thinkbig12 macrumors member

Hey guys, I used to have a white macbook 2.4ghz with 4gb ram then I switched for a alum mbp 2.26ghz with 2gb of ram...also, it runs 10.6.3..

Now, my macbook feels very slow, I constantly see the spinning loading circle..each thing I open, feels like my comp is working hard..

I don't know if it's because I'm running snow leopard? or if it's because I used the mac software to transfer all my data (profile, aps, etc) from my old macbook to my new mbp so it wasn't rly a fresh install.. and I think I heard it affects performance.. or is it because I only have 2gb of ram? Is 2gb or 4gb a noticeable difference on Mac OS x??

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated. also, pardon the bad english used!

2. Tim Lyons macrumors member

Personally I wouldn't transfer all the profiles and such, just my pictures, music etc. Also I wouldn't have less than 3GB of RAM, but that's my opinion I think for OS X 10.6 is 1GB of memory, that is of course the MINIMUM which wont give you optimal performance.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Likely because you had 4GB and now only have 2GB, it's noticeable, especially when multitasking

4. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I agree. OSX really really likes 4 gig. It runs fine on 2gig, and even 1 gig.... but 4 gig really makes a noticeable difference from my experience.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Run applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility and repair disk permissions and it should fix your speed problems.

6. thinkbig12 thread starter macrumors member

I've done it numerous times.. no big difference.. I guess I'll do a clean OSX install and buy 4GB of ram..

How does ram upgrade works? Do I have 2x1gb sticks or only 1x2gb stick? How many ram slots do I have on the mobo?

Also, I'm considering an SSD, but stupid Steve Jobs doesn't wanna implement TRIM support yet...

Thans for the help guys