Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert McNewbie

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Romania
My first Mac. Have it since two days. My thighs are full of MacBook "love marks". The air vent edge in the back (and on the side for that matter) is very SHARP. Is yours to? Or is just my case that fell off the mill before chamfering? Is this a LAPtop? Or should I wear an iApron? or iTrousers? There was none in the box :(
If you are not sure be CAREFUL when you swipe your finger!

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
They're not sharp enough to cut skin (unless you press really hard). My new 15" MBP is the same. Just an indication of the very precise milling that's done to produce the metal shell.

Robert McNewbie

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Romania
Thank you for your reply.
After a better look, I think that the back cover is stamped sheet. It should have gone on a mill for chamfering. Not easy for a thin sheet. That's an additional CNC + tooling + 1 extra minute in the chain and not to mention additional design, engineering and QC of the process. But they skip that because "quality", in this case, is all about perception. Yours is positive. I still like my MBP but my perception is dented.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
Extra "cnc" + "tooling" + 1 extra minute in the "chain"..really? ..gimme' a break.

No, it would not require "extra cnc" nor high-cost "tooling" nor an additional "1 minute" to relieve the edge you are referring to. Where in the world do people come up with this stuff??

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Yes the 13” does dig in to you, especially the wrist when typing - compared to the Air (due to its tapered design) and the 15” (as the laptop acts as a wrist rest). It’s was one of the annoying things to have to get used to.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
umm... isn't it umm... not a good idea to place laptops on your... laps (& other things)?
you don't want your junk to get cancer...
:oops:

Reactions: jerryk

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
file.jpeg

sandpaper.jpeg

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Extra "cnc" + "tooling" + 1 extra minute in the "chain"..really? ..gimme' a break.

No, it would not require "extra cnc" nor high-cost "tooling" nor an additional "1 minute" to relieve the edge you are referring to. Where in the world do people come up with this stuff??
I would not be so negatively inclined towards Robert McNewbie. From what I see he has some knowledge about the manufacturing process and I would not be surprised if he has machining experience. He is right in all he wrote down regarding to machining.
I would not think that it is the machining process that apple has skipped, I'd rather think it is the design that was not finished on that particular line, cause if someone in the engineering department would have added a 0,3 mil fillet or chamfer that feature would be there.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
I agree, Robert McNewbie does have the basics down and it's nice to see. However, to suggest that the edge requires milling is quite an overstatement. Fact is, as Robert pointed out, the bottom cover is a stamped part. To relieve the edge, the die could easily be manufactured to accommodate the requirement. In other words, zero additional time required and certainly no requirement to place the cover on a mill, to relieve the edge, at all. Further, if indeed the cover required a machining op, which it doesn't, the thickness (or lack of) would not be an issue. A nesting fixture with a vacuum pull would sufficiently hold the cover in position. No need for clamps.

I guess I was just turned off by Mr. McNewbie's statement that 'perception' has 'tricked' the uninformed public as if he has a better handle on just what 'quality' is and then drops manufacturing lingo in such a way as to display his 'street cred'. To a non-manufacturing professional, it might sound impressive but to a true professional, it's amateurish, at best.

Reactions: 88Keys and HenryDJP

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same part here. The bottom cover probably is stamped, but I do not think that this cover's edge is exposed at any point in a way that it can touch your feet. The cover (at least on my older mbpr) is surrounded by the main body on all but back sides and that side is not really exposed. I was (and still am) under impression that the main body is having too sharp edges and that he is complaining about that.
Just o say that I have returned the MB Air due to similar issue. When I'd be on my couch with a laptop it's tin front would feel quite uncomfortable to me.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
This will fix the problem, they sell them at the apple store, under the sign that says skins. Pun intended. IMG_0012.jpg

Robert McNewbie

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Romania
Ok, lets get physical :)
While I'm on the couch I have my legs crossed and my "notebook" is supported on its front edge and back edge on my thigh. The marks are visible in the attached photo. Don't worry it does not hurt. However I have no wrist problem.
IMG_5677.jpg

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
You’re using your MBP naked? Surely just wearing some shorts would alleviate this issue? ;)

Robert McNewbie

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Romania
I agree, Robert McNewbie does have the basics down and it's nice to see. However, to suggest that the edge requires milling is quite an overstatement. Fact is, as Robert pointed out, the bottom cover is a stamped part. To relieve the edge, the die could easily be manufactured to accommodate the requirement. In other words, zero additional time required and certainly no requirement to place the cover on a mill, to relieve the edge, at all. Further, if indeed the cover required a machining op, which it doesn't, the thickness (or lack of) would not be an issue. A nesting fixture with a vacuum pull would sufficiently hold the cover in position. No need for clamps.

I guess I was just turned off by Mr. McNewbie's statement that 'perception' has 'tricked' the uninformed public as if he has a better handle on just what 'quality' is and then drops manufacturing lingo in such a way as to display his 'street cred'. To a non-manufacturing professional, it might sound impressive but to a true professional, it's amateurish, at best.

Porkchop Sandwich
The technical lingo: it was an irony, for the professionals, who obviously know that it is not that difficult get it done. But those involved haven't done it. Indeed, conveying irony in a forum post is not easy for a non native speaker and across cultures.
Concerning "perception" I stand by my statement. The MBP may not be perceived as "sharp" if it would not have been this sharp. (did I phrase this correctly? :confused:)

PS: an example for the cultural (or the lack of) issue that I am facing:
I was trying to understand the name you choose on the forum. I have seen the GI Joe, then the urban dictionary, I think I got it :confused:. A while back I was searching to understand "it ain't over until the fat lady sings" :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.