My MBP 2010 17"'s battery is detertoring

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Oct 15, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 601

Hello, I took my MBP 2010 17" to an Apple Store due to possible issue with a trackpad (automatic clicking after upgrading to Sierra). The staff did a test on my computer and found that the battery failed the test. I think the result showed that the batter is losing its ability to hold charges (about 75% ok). He mentioned that as it is an old machine, even there is a hardware failure, Apple cannot do anything due to a lack of components. Also, I seldom used the computer for about four years as schools bought me more recent rMBP.

Despite the result, every time I charge my computer, I get 100% full showing up on the top right of the screen. Do I have to worry it for the time being? Will the machine fails to function if its ability to hold charges drops to 50% or below? How long do you think the computer will last?

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

the computer and the battery are two completely separate things. they can each fail on their own, they can both fail at the same time but one doesn't fail the other. your battery will eventually die, but the computer is still fine. and on that model, you can just pop the battery out and run off the AC adapter for years more. or just buy a new battery.